Toilet seat tantrums

A couple of years ago I bought a new Toilet seat with lid. The seat and the lid had a kind of slowed down drop using same kind of damped spindle device. Today, when I lifted it, predictably, the bracket on the side of the seat with the damper simply broke off. Its obviously been flexed by the usage and eventually given up the ghost and parted, judging by the jagged break at any rate. Bit of bad design, in my view, if just one hinge was taking all that weight and stress of the slow lower device, then I'm not surprised it has given way. Trouble is I do not know now who made it, I know it came from the Wilkinson's in Kingston, but I doubt if they would tell me. It is a two self tapping screw fix if I could get a bracket, otherwise I'd have to have all the hassle and cost of a new seat... bar humbug. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

About £25 at Homebase.

Reply to
JNugent

JNugent <jennings& snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I have one that has a button on the back and you can lift the seat off. Great for cleaning - I put it in the shower.

Reply to
JohnP

I would have thought that the hassle and cost of a new seat would not be much greater than the hassle and cost of a new bracket. Anyway, Wilkinsons have this £5 toilet seat repair kit that might do.

DaveW

From Brian's description I think it might be more like this seat from Argos:

so conventional hinges won't do the job.

The Argos one is quite cheap (£15) and if it is the one I think, quite easy to fit. The small and quite light part that holds the unit in place just fits into the usual holes in the ceramic and the rest of the gubbins then just slides into place, "click" and locks.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

If it really did come from Wilkinson it was more than a couple of years ago

they changed their name in to Wilko 2012

Reply to
tim...

Not on their shops they didn't.

Reply to
DaveW

Probably just a bad one. The one I fitted 12 years ago is still working fine.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Oh, I know I can simply replace it it just seems to me that the little plastic bracket should be simply replaceable that is all. Nothing wrong with the rest of it. Somebody tells me that similar seats are in at B and Q also, if I really wanted to replace it, which seems a bit of a waste. Sadly although one could do a repair perhaps with a small bit of studding and some araldite, it probably will not last as its quite soft plastic. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Hmm, well, maybe. I'd need to remove the other bit and go along and look at those. I think if I'd have been designing such a device I'd make thebracket 50 percent wider at least to stop this plastic fatigue fracture. I was a little sceptical whhen I saw it in the first place, but then the designer must have stress tested it?? ahem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:sbh2q1$o6g$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No shop wants to carry spares - no maker wants to admit that spares will be needed.

Reply to
JohnP