Toilet repair

Hopefully somebody here can help me. I have an old toilet, close-coupled, Armitage Shanks Model 17010, Concave Front. It is listed as too old for Support. It flushes reluctantly, so I want to just replace the gubbins, but I'm not sure what kit to buy, to be sure that it will fit first time. I don't want anything like the American rotting-flapper devices, but a proper replacement for what is there now, but past its best. I've done plenty of Searching, with no conclusions. Any help welcomed.

Reply to
Davey

That's my kind of spending! Thanks. Now to set aside a time to take it apart. Is there a 'How-to' available, or is it just 'take things apart following a natural progression, starting underneath'?

Reply to
Davey

Don't do it on a weekend! Bound to hit a snag or need a left handed do-dah and your really need a proper plumbers merchant to be open as the sheds are useless IME.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for the advice and instructions. I agree, for the sake of a few quid, it makes sense to get new parts. In this case, there is no individual shut-off for the supply, but it is right after the house water softener, so I will shut off the house supply to do the work.=20 I see various models, 7.5", 8" etc, where is this measured, so I know which one to get? Is it the rise of the lifter? If my local place has these parts, and I know it has the gasket kit and 'some' flush kits, then I'll get them there, otherwise online is the best way.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

snip

We don't use margarine in this house, so any such would be a specific purchase. What is vitalite, for for goodness' sake?

snip

That's easy for you to say, but this is new territory for me. The horrid US ones, I know about, but not these. =20

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

xxxxxx

First thing is to put in one of those little inline shutoff thingys, a few quid. Then youc an have your house working whilst you fiddle about.

[g]
Reply to
george ~ dicegeorge

Yes, I had thought about that. I can see why there isn't one already, it's called "lack of space"!

Reply to
Davey

Got as far as 3. One nut, hex, is rusted solid, but the whole thing turns. The other, a wingnut, also rusted, won't do anything, especially since one wing broke off. Now to find a suitable tool to do the angle-grinder thing. Tool needs to be very narrow, due to the toilet being close-coupled in more ways than just the cistern's description.

  1. is easy, 2 not very tight screws. Also found a video online that shows what you wrote, but his battery angle-grinder wouldn't fit in my space.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Sounds like a die grinder job.

NT

Reply to
NT

Got the thing apart, found said diaphragm, which looks fine. Soft thin, but complete, disc of rubber. Now confused as to why it doesn't work. Do I replace it with a piece of very flexible something (margarine lids would be far, far stiffer than what's there), it is clearly meant to flex, as underneath is a framed mesh support for when it goes back down again? It has no holes in it, nor tears.=20

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey