Toilet paper

And if you want to convince the other half that you should do it that way, point out that every time you see the rolls with paper hanging on the wall side in public lavatories there is brown stains on the wall behind it.

Reply to
F Murtz

,

Well it does,(except maybe in the very expensive stuff)

Reply to
F Murtz

Most public lavatories (I very rarely use 'em, or at least the cubicles) seem to have enormous rolls mounted sideways, with no, or hardly any, perforations, and you have to fish up inside the dispenser to catch the end of the roll, indeterminately to the left or right.

And so few people wash their hands after all this, then go around holding handrails of escalators, passing money in coffee shops, and so on. Yuk.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

,

Does what? Are you saying you've come across rolls where the perforations don't line up and *can't* be fixed by unwinding one ply?

If so, can you explain how such rolls are made?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

,

I'd guess that the 2 plies are fed separately to the winding machine and that they're already perforated. It's then simply a matter of the outer ply having a slightly bigger circumference to go around and so the perfs. get out of register.

Reply to
PeterC

On Friday 01 March 2013 00:07 F Murtz wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Gross! I find it hard to believe than anyone in the same species as me can be so filthy...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Friday 01 March 2013 01:20 Frank Erskine wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It has been noted at work that one can sometimes hear russeling from another bog cubical, followed by "flush" followed by door and main door noises and yet sink and tap noises are conspiciously absent.

So even educated people are prone to being filthy unhygenic bastards. (I work at a university). And it's not students because be have very few at that site - only the odd PhD). If I ever catch one in person, there'll be words...

*sigh*
Reply to
Tim Watts

Why on earth would a manufacturer go to the trouble of perforating delicate single plies of paper first and then give themselves the much trickier job of making sure that the perforations are registering correctly when the plies are combined?

I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense to me. In the absence of a credible explanation of how such mis-registration can occur during manufacture, I think the only possible answer is that some folk just haven't unwound the correct number of plies.

Certainly in some cheap papers the plies can be very weakly joined and ply splitting is more likely to occur but the perforations will always line up if you sort the plies out.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

And three-ply gives another set of mis-registration possibilities... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Even worse in an other way is discovering a hole in the side of the cubical with an eye on the other side (as I did once)

Reply to
F Murtz

On Friday 01 March 2013 11:38 F Murtz wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That'll teach you to use the bogs on Clapham Common!

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's bloody annoying that two-ply often unrolls with the plies seperated and out of sync.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Progress, laddy; nothing like it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Not seen one arrive that way for years, but just separating the plies and unwinding one of them by one turn always used to sort it out ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

When hearing such a situation, I've taken to shouting, "You durty bastard!" from the cubicle.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In John's case it was a finger-slip, a brainfart, an accidental typo. In the case of the convict-descendant, it would be simple ignorance, as bush-schooling tends to concentrate more on working the Drake reciever and sheep-handling rather than decent English usage.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

As one of those is kill-filed, I do not respond to his posts any more - nor see much of them. And, as you say, simple finger-trouble. Nonetheless I do see it quite widely elsewhere.

Reply to
polygonum

When our bog blocked for the umpteenth time, upon interrogating my son I discovered that actually there's another method - you wrap yards of the stuff around your hand, like a bloody great mitten... FFS

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wrote in news:GQoYs.351223$ snipped-for-privacy@fx04.fr:

What about the "re-folders" Fold - use - look - re-fold - re-use. Yuk.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Well there's your patent: 'the disposable 'shitglove''

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher