toilet on ceramic floor...???

Guys, I have just layed a ceramic floor in downstairs toilet. However, when I put the toilet pan back in place (ceramic pan of course) - it makes a sort of grating "ceramic against ceramic" sound. Is it permisable to put some sort of mastic or plastic beneath the pan then cut to fit, finally sealing with bathroom sealant? What's normally done to prevent this? Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Keyser Sose

Yes, I always bed it down on silicone. If you apply a bead of silicone so that when it squishes, it doesn't quite squish all the way out (so apply it perhaps an inch in from the edge), you'll have no cleaning up to do, and no further sealing will be necessary.

Reply to
Grunff

I've mentioned this before, but it probably bears repeating... I saw a plumber replacing a WC in the gents at work. He stood it on about 4 wall tile spacers (2mm ones). Then he ran a bead of bathroom sealant under it. I didn't watch him finish off, but I suspect when the seal cured, he probably pulled out the spacers and sealed up any resulting gaps.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not only permissible, its the easiest way of mounting it.

Lay a thick bead of silicone and plonk the toilet on it

When set use a scalpel to remove surplus.

Pump the screw holes fill of silicone as well.

One firmly fixed toilet that is totally sealed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I tried that as well, then I pulled the spacers anyway. It's stuck down firmly now.

A scalpel is the better way to remove excess once set. .

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Instead of screws or as well as?

Reply to