Toilet cistern overflow

Just got a new cheap toilet from B&Q to replace and 30yr old one.

The old one has an overflow pipe out the wall but this new one doesn't have any overflow outlet as far as I can see yet the useless instruction manual mentions about 4. (I think it's an manual for lots of different toilets).

Do newer toilets still need an overflow pipe?

FYI, It's one of those Toilet-to-go jobbies.

Reply to
hoicem

Most new toilets (if not all) have an internal overflow now. This means it overflows via the flushing syphon into the pan bowl and not out through the wall.

Aren't they all ;-)

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Modern cisterns overflow through the syphon.

Reply to
FredCarnot

Which is just the job *NOT* if you have a water meter - 'cos it'll be overflowing merrily - and wasting lots of expensive water - without any external symptoms to alert you.

[You can check whether it *does* have an internal overflow by holding the float valve open and seeing what happens.]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Not sure I agree. Over the years I have seen many ignored external tell-tales/overflows - some for months if not years. Perhaps an internal one could be more obvious in some circumstances? (I am thinking of a real cistern at a workplace where the overflowing water would have splattered quite quietly onto foliage. Doubt anyone would ever notice unless they had another reason to go round the back of the building.) Anyway, truth is it depends more on whether anyone who cares notices... I would notice and care if our cisterns overflowed internally or externally!

Reply to
Rod

If the toilet was overflowing (into the bowl) the user would see it every time they went to the toilet. They could of course choose to ignore it but they could also ignore an external overflow aswell!

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I get to sort out lots of these, especially in en suites as the noise drives people mad. I reckon they are easier for people to spot than externals.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The trouble is thought that lots of people ignore things like overflows, dripping taps, radiators that are cold at the top, sticking doors, soft car tyres, brake light not working, etc.

Conversely, I have seen several houses with elaborate arrangements to pipe the overflow into a rainwater hopper. One has hose - another has plastic push fit pipes. More costly than a ball valve washer.

Reply to
John

Maybe it depends on the *rate* of leakage - I suspect many people wouldn't notice a steady trickle into the bowl.

Reply to
Roger Mills

My experience has been that people say things like 'the toilet keeps filling' or 'its making a noise' - they don't really know what an overflow is.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, in my experience you don't, but when the flow is sufficient then the toilet starts flushing on its own - that's when you notice it. It didn't have any noticeable effect on my water meter on the two occasions that I've had this experience.

Reply to
Peter Johnson