Toasters

I've just pronounced my Russell Hobbs Classic toaster beyond repair.
It is a good few years old, and whilst I was able to make my way inside and diagnose the failure (a bit of springy wire had fatigued) the plastic it clipped onto was too fragile for me to fashion and install a replacement.
For such an inexpensive item (unless you really want it to be) I am loath to spend hours searching through on-line reviews. My usual first look at Which? seems to produce Best Buys which have nevertheless attracted a significant number of negative comments.
Similarly, Amazon seems to produce a wide spread of experience, such that it is sometimes hard to believe they have used the same hardware.
I suppose my requirements are 2-slot, able to take large or thick slices, brown evenly and have high enough lift to remove teacakes and similar small items without having to use tongs.
I have no particular need to toast one side of a bagel, warm my buns, or be able to count down to l(a)unch.
What should I look at?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place and then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while in flight' method. I will watch this thread with interest.
--
Davey.

On Monday, 16 February 2015 17:44:08 UTC, Davey wrote:

There is, but don't bother writing in to Dragons' Den as it's already been done.
http://www.dualit.com/products/original-sandwich-cage
Owain
On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:12:55 -0800 (PST) snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Darn! Beaten to it. Oh well.
--
Davey.

If its not yet mass market and produced by every badge engineered company out there, its probably got a problem you only find out about when you use it. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Davey" < snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid> wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 11:19:26 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

We're a +1 for Tefal. Been functioning 10+ years, 2 slot, wide slots, muffin carrier on top. The only down side is that it doesn't have a spring system to throw the toast out when done!
Rob
On 16/02/2015 17:44, Davey wrote:

i certainly had a toaster that came with folding holders to help put small items in and out.
Davey wrote:

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to grab the toast.
On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 21:25:03 +1100

Although I have never fully tested the theory, surely, if any toaster is turned off, then it should be pretty safe, even if metal is stuck down into the bread cavity? My occasional such operations have never resulted in any sparks or similar. If the elements are physically damaged, then that is a different matter.
--
Davey.

Yes, but you can damage the element.

There is no way to get sparks with it unplugged.

Yes, but its quite likely given how the elements are usually done.
And I much prefer a toaster to eject the bread when toasted because I normally read the news on the PC while waiting for the toast to toast and like to be able to hear it pop up when its done on the other side of the big main open plan room.
None of mine actually fling the toast out of the toaster, just pop up when its done with the toast still in the toaster.
And reliably turn the power off before popping up too so that even if the toast does jam, it doesn't catch fire.

How evenly does it toast the toast ?
Rod Speed wrote:

Fairly even but it toasts fairly quickly and you end up with outside toasted with a very soft centre It does have a setting to slow it down (on off on off etc) It has settings,bagel,frozen,crisp etc. It came from Aldi three or four years ago,I bought two on special when they did not sell at the high price they wanted.

How many of those elements does it have ?

When I was a kid I used to call that toast with bread in the middle and it was my preferred toast. Achieved by having the slices as thick as would still go in the toaster.
I still do my toast that way, but it only ends up with bread in the middle when I put very thick frozen bread in the toaster and I only do that when I have to use the single very thick slice of bread I keep in the freezer for when I manage to end up with no fresh bread to toast.

Unfortunately my Aldi is 2 hours/$50 away.
Rod Speed wrote:

Not many, only one each on the outsides and two on each side of centre,seem odd but it works, don't know if the single ones are different wattage.

They have not had them again they were fairly expensive at the tine,much dearer than the ordinary one, I got them when they dramatically reduced them to get rid of them.
On 19/02/2015 10:25, F Murtz wrote:

what make is that, I looked everywhere for one of those.

Aren't they a bit dependant upon a decent and clean reflector behind the tubular elements?
Chris J Dixon wrote:

FWIW We've had one of these which has performed satisfactorily for nearly 20 years:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
And they seem to be still making them, which must be a good sign.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

We had one of those. The slots are way too small and restrictive IMO. Nine out of ten slices of what *I* wanted to put in wouldn't fit. Fine if you don't mind your slice size being somewhat limited.
Tim
I fault I had frequently with my old Tefal Avanti was a few crumbs getting onto the face of the electro magnet and redering the hold-down mechanism useless until stripped and cleaned.

Both my mum and inlaws happen to have the 4 slot version. Both developed the small fault - though I can't remember what ! - but it hasn't stopped them using them whatever it is. Seem fine otherwise.
Still loving our dualit though.
--
Chris French