To replace older combi boiler?

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 17:54:35 +0000, Andrew coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

I wouldn't install a boiler myself, but I do know that pressure is expressed in mBars, and gas rate in volume/time.

Reply to
Graham.

I think you are commenting on a loosely worded sentence (*at* the

*required* gas rate the boiler maintains a *pressure of* 20 mBar) rather than an error.
Reply to
Roger Hayter

Here we seem to be in a problem area where Northern Gas Networks won't allow installers to venture, let alone the d-i-y amateurs.

Reply to
mechanic

Not necessarily. We are assuming the pressure is OK at the meter. The test is to ensure it does not drop at the boiler end when it is on full power. If it does it is more likely to be inadequate pipework in the house than a supply fault. But if properly designed it is just a check to show it works and is not blocked anywhere.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Can you please explain the costs of maintaining a modern condensing boiler? As opposed to fixing anything that may go wrong?

Old boilers (or rather CH systems) still have things like pumps and valves which can and will fail eventually. No different from a modern one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. My old Potterton RS floor stander was in the large bathroom, and kept it nice and warm. Fine in the winter - but perhaps not so much on a hot day when only doing the hot water.

Had to add a rad in the bathroom when I changed to a modern boiler. I'd rather the heat goes were I want it to, since I'm paying for the gas no matter where it goes. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Excellent as regards efficiency? Bet you have LEDs everywhere. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think of servicing as per a car. Where it needs routine work like oil and filter changes. I'd not call replacing a broken alternator (or whatever) a service. It's a repair.

Basically, a service is needed to keep something in peak condition. If all it consists of is looking at things, it's an inspection. And with a boiler, is unlikely to show things which may or may not break in the next year, unless you're very lucky.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 09:18:30 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@hayter.org (Roger Hayter) coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

Yes, reading it again, that appears to be the case.

Reply to
Graham.

I suspect that part of the problem is caused by the slightly complex control circuitry. This is operating in a somewhat hostile environment for electronics and tends to be the main cause of failure. (Lead-free solder probably doesn;t help the reliability)

Reply to
charles

On my Viessmann, the PCB is sited at the bottom of the boiler. And runs at near enough room temperture. A decent modern boiler produces very little heat into the room anyway. A far less hostile environment than the average car ECU. And probably better than the average PC, or PVR, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you trying to suggest the Grenfell tragedy was the result of DIY?

I don't live in a tower block.

You think they inspect every job done by a 'Gas Safe' registered person?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or even inspect their previous jobs after they leave an elbow fluxed but un-soldered?

Reply to
Andy Burns

This wasn't diy, it was a £10 million refurb that took building regs into account and the cladding might not have been a problem if the insulation had been rockwool instead of 'fire resistant' celotex. All manner of 'experts' were happy with this work.

It was an unfortunate combination of events that caused this fire and I suspect the worst mistake was allowing the stairwell to become full of smoke. The enquiry will reveal all.

Reply to
Andrew

That's not what I said at all.

Stop taking it personally. You are not the only person who might be at risk.

Most big installers have delegated approval powers and are trusted to get things right. Building Control inspection is not needed on every job.

Reply to
mechanic

Taking care is not sufficient - some DIYers lack the insight to recognise the limits of their competence, or the possible consequences of their actions.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've not picked up the context, but would comment that when I moved in to this house about 4 years back it had non-finned mostly single panel radiators throughout. And despite a near 60C temperature at the radiators, the house would struggle to get above 16C in outside freezing temperatures.

Reply to
RJH

Clearly not, but there does seem to have been a lack of awareness of limited competence, a shortcoming also observable in some DIYers.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Well that is because your house has very poor thermal insulation and quite possibly severe air leakage into cavity walls, under suspended floors and through the loft.

Identify and fix those problems and you will feel an obvious improvement

Post details of building, year of construction, location, orientation and people here will help.

Reply to
Andrew

At the time of the fire, the 'cellotex' website said quite clearly this cladding wasn't suitable for high rise use. Soon removed from that site.

Yes. Just why the escape route became unusable so quickly is the main point. Let's hope it does all come out, and the same mistakes never made again. Sadly, I'm being very optimistic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)