Tip: Posting links to Screwfix bits

In case anyone is interested, Screwfix parts can be linked to directly using the form:

saves a multi-line link and the bother of giving it a tinyurl.

If you add something like

to your browser favourites you can visit that link then paste in the desired item code to get the new short link.

HTH

Reply to
fred

If you use Firefox, you can go one better. Edit the bookmark, change Location to

and set Keyword to something like "sf".

Now you can just type "sf 17359" into the address bar, and it will take you directly to

Richard Skeen

In Opera, click and hold at the end of the prod number, drag the cursor to the left to select the truncated url, release, R-click - copy. Although the entire url is selected as soon as you click on the address, dragging selects only the part dragged across - no need to release the button and click again.

Reply to
PeterC

In article , PeterC wrote: [sig line]

car body filler will help to keep them there!

John

Reply to
JTM

and WD40 to make their wings shiny.

Reply to
PeterC

Not always that easy I'm afraid SF often create tortuous links when you've searched to get to the product eg:

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=17359&searchbutton.x=9&searchbutton.y=12&searchbutton=submitFor these I have to store the core link as a favourite. Nice idea with the firefox shortcut prefix but that's not my favourite browser.

Reply to
fred

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=17359&searchbutton.x=9&searchbu> tton.y=12&searchbutton=submit

But they show a product number on the page, so you can still adapt it

Andy Burns

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=17359&searchbutton.x=9&searchbu

That's a different beastie of course (and I hate the way that, on many sites, the results of a search can't be used to find the section in which the product is located).

This newsreader (40tude) has a 'spoiler' for long URLs so that they don't wrap - your example above, which is broken, would be intact from 40tude.

Reply to
PeterC

Unless I'm missing something, you still have to store the core link:

somewhere, pull it out and add the item code manually.

Btw, just noticed that Toolstation's links are easier to handle as they have the item code at the end and you can just cut the redundant tracking information from the middle.

eg:

fred

fred gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=17359&searchbutton.x=9&searchbutton.y=12&searchbutton=submit>>> For these I have to store the core link as a favourite.

Umm, if you try and link to the search result, you get a horrible unwieldy URL, sure - but if you click on an individual item within a search result, you get a longer URL that starts with that nice short / prods/

If you search for the product number, as the OP seems to have done (&fh_search=17359), you get an unwieldy URL, sure - but even if you've done that all you need to do is copy the link behind the "Share on Facebook" button, then trim that back.

'course, you could always go through your order history and click on the product name, if that's why you're trying to find it but know the product number... (and I can't think of many other reasons why you'd be searching by number alone)

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Adrian writes

I am the op btw and know how to post sensible links to SF and TS products. The purpose of my tip was to make it easier for others to post brief and purposeful links to same rather than the tortuous ones that are sometimes posted, thasall :-)

The link behind share on facebook doesn't seem to be prunable to a sensible one.

For me, opening the core link I posted and pasting the item code on the end seems the easiest option.

Reply to
fred

you've a hope the trade counter might actually have some in stock!

(Haven't bought anything from Screwfix in months. Tried to.)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember PeterC saying something like:

And Hammerite to give them a lovely finish.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon