Diamond tip drill bits and saw blades

I'm wondering if the cost of diamond tipped blades and bits may rise in the near future. One of the biggest fastest growing fad in jewelry is "chocolate" and "black" diamonds. In the past most all brown and black diamonds ended up on tools. Now they are getting good money for them in jewelry stores.

Actually most of the diamond tipped tools people here use are often made out of such small "scraps" of diamonds that maybe there won't be a difference. But in heavy industrial applications that use sizable diamonds to cut with could find some real competition with jewelers.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

There never has been a shortage of diamonds. The "gem grade" are just price controlled by the company that sells 99.9% of them.

Reply to
gfretwell

Plus, I believe, lot of industrial diamonds are man made.

Reply to
Frank

I remember reading about the "modern history" of diamonds. Up until the Debeers family cornered control of the African diamond mines diamonds were considered just another semi-precious stone. This happened in the late 1920s. Also that is when the diamond engagement ring became a "tradition" because of intense marketing by Debeers in the media of the day. Debeers is also the one who created the rule on what the "proper" amount you needed to spend on a diamond engagement ring was.

Reply to
George

Gem quality can be manufactured, cheaply, too. Their only "flaw" is that they're too perfect. It's scaring the crap out of DeBeers. They're trying to force manufacturers to mark the diamonds as such. DeBeers is about the sleaziest business on the planet. I've been boycotting them for decades. ;-)

Reply to
krw

You can buy a man made diamond up to =BD carat (with larger ones soon to be made available) that cannot be distinguished from a natural diamond unless you have an instrument called a DiamondSure or DiamondView tester which are apparently so expensive that the company that sells them doesn=92t even list their price on their web-site:

The only force that=92s keeping the price of diamonds from falling through the Earth=92s crust where they came from is the titanic efforts of a British company called De Beers.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I wasn't sure of the quality but knew industrial grades were cheap to make. GE scientist told somebody I knew that they could make diamonds out of any carbon source, even peanut butter.

There's still a lot of cutting and faceting involved in jewelry so it will never be dirt cheap.

It would be funny if someone made diamonds out of carbon dioxide and touted them as good for the environment because they reduced pollution. DeBeers would have a shit fit ;)

Reply to
Frank

I thought of that today. You are right, most industrial diamonds are man made.

Anyway it is true that people are paying good money for brown and black diamonds that were only good for tools. What marketing can do to change a inexpensive black diamond into precious stone.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

They're making them out of human remains.

That's done in sweatshops around the world, too. The only thing that keeps diamonds expensive is DeBeers.

I think you're onto something, but I think you've been beaten to the punch (see the end of the YouTube video above). ;-)

Reply to
krw