Time to start on new bathroom

OK - reached the bathroom in the house i moved into 3 years ago - Looking for any tips and most of all the order in which to do things. The walls and floors will all be tiled - taking off current tiles will be a pain but needs must - the ceiling will be getting a few spots in and the hanging light removed. A tower heater/radiator thingymabob will replace the radiator. New bath, WC and basin put in..The floors boards are a bit ropey - is it best to replace with new flooring to make the floor tiles more at ease! (of any sort).... Give me yout 2 bobs worth people and i shall return the favour with 1 beer voucher - redeemable when you meet me in a pub (-;

Regards

Joe.

Reply to
JoeFaeGlesga

Hey Joe,

Here on the other side of the pond, we would approach that job, which appears to be a complete redo with a complete and utter rip out. Get down to basic structure on all 6 sides and start fresh. From there, get everything as close to level as possible and rough systems (plumbing and electrical) installed. In my experience, when you have the rough framing and systems properly installed everything else is goes in like butter. If you try and mess around retrofitting old work to match up with new you end up with a half assed and more difficult job.

Good Luck.

Reply to
jerryrigged

If the house is reasonably modern some, at least, of the tiled walls will be plasterboard. Removing the old tiles will wreck the plasterboard completely. You have to bite the bullet and plan on removing these walls completely back to the studding. You can replace the plasterboard and re-tile easily. Last year I started out trying to remove the old tiles carefully - it's a waste of time - go for broke, it's a lot quicker in the end.

Cheers

Reply to
Another Dave

have you got alternative facilities ? this will obviously affect the way you go about the job

bob

Reply to
im

suggest reading up on downlighters here first.

Removing tiles: sds and chisel bit.

tiles need a very firm foundation. If the boards arent, I'd go with wbp ply. I heard theres also a waterproof grade of chip, never used it tho.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nope - thats the problem - with the misses and 2 kids - as soon as the bathrooms out of action for more than 30 minutes all hell breaks loos. Think i might have to go for the whole redo as suggested by jerryrig - cheers all.

Reply to
JoeFaeGlesga

hey what about that beer i should be in glasgow sometime in april to celebrate the bhoys winning another league title

mick

Might be better off not DIY'ing if you have pressure on facilities. My bathroom mercifully had a separate WC, So it was quite easy to rip the lot out and refit at my leisure, just popping over to a friends house for baths/showering facilities.

Have a look around the camping shops for a portable loo if you haven't got friendly neighbours !

My refit went something like

Cap off water supplies Rip out old bath and basin Chip off old wall tiles Replaster down to level of new wall tiles rough fit bath Tile walls Permanently fit & plumb bath rough fit basin & plumb plywood over floor tile floor Permanently fit & plumb basin Paint plasterwork Fit shower screen Paint woodwork and fit new doors as necessary New light fitting/pull switch hang mirror etc

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

The camping idea sounds good.... thanks for the list - just what I was looking for. Gives me an idea how to proceed.

Joe.

Reply to
JoeFaeGlesga

What d'you mean April....we've won it already (-;

Joe.

Reply to
JoeFaeGlesga