Time to forget Ebay?

A fraudulant or erronous transaction.

Reversing a charge for any reason, initiated by the Issuer (the bank which issued the card), usually on behalf of the card holder. The money is refunded by the Acquirer (bank which provides the merchant with card payment facilities). The Acquirer will likely claw it back from the Merchant, but that's their business and outside the chargeback mechanism. There are very strict rules which banks sign up to when they become Visa/Mastercard Issuers or Acquirers about under what circumstances they can perform a chargeback. There's also a "representation" (reversing a chargeback by the Acquirer), although that can be subject to a chargeback too.

Note that your Issuer will have to refund you under some circumstances without performing a chargeback (in which case they take the hit). If a chargeback happens, then the Acquirer or the Merchant will take the hit, but it would have to be a circumstance where a chargeback was permitted. If the Issuer and the Acquirer disagree, then they have to pay for the Processor of the transaction (Visa or Mastercard) to perform dispute resolution. This however is just between the Issuer and the Acquirer, and does not affect you -- if the Issuer has gone that far then they've already refunded you and it's just a question of them being refunded or not by the Acquirer. Generally, you will have no idea if a refund was paid for by your Issuer or by a chargeback (hence the Acquirer or Merchant).

I'm not up to date with the exact situations in which chargebacks are allowed, but I don't think most of the likely issues under the Consumer Credit Act protection would count, once the goods have been received, and there's a time limit on chargebacks anyway which way shorter than time you might take action under the Consumer Credit Act. Non-receipt of goods is however a valid reason for a chargeback. Chargeback rules are international, whereas the Consumer Credit Act isn't, so an Acquirer or Merchant (who might be international) has no obligation under the Consumer Credit Act, whereas the Issuer does, as they're the ones providing you with credit.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That assumes a distance sale. The Consumer Credit Act is not restricted in that way

Reply to
Andy Hall

Can anyone enlighten me on how/what the DSR does to remove the £100 limit? This is new to me.

Mark

The message from Mark contains these words:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:4p7800MgebEJ:

Appin

In message , at 21:50:21 on Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Appin remarked:

limit.

The reason why the £100 limit wouldn't apply is because someone is doing a chargeback, rather than a claim under the Consumer Credit Act.

Reply to
Roland Perry

58 years ago my pet mouse was called Mister Churchill. One summers day I left him in the greenhouse and he died of hyperthermia. 2 Days later mum was coming back from town and noticing our next door neighbour on the bus went and sat with her.

"Oh, by the way", she said "Have you heard, Mister Churchill's dead".

A stunned silence went round the bus ...

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I took my computer to a client site one day. I stayed late there, and didn't have anybody to escort me past the security guard, who took exception to me carrying a desktop out with me. I was very pleased when I said "This is my machine, look, it's MrNoisy", pointed to the label, and he said "that'll be fine then" or words to that effect - he reckoned anybody calling their machine that was probably ok :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Last lot I did were Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Archer.

Which left me with Pike, Janeway and (at a stretch) Cochran in reserve for future expansion.

Though it would be possible to make a very strong argument that, with four servers to name, I should have gone with Archer, Pike, Kirk and Picard.

I know - and it's a very warm coat. With fun fur round the hood.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

We didn't think much about it when a colleague named his firstborn Blake. However, when we heard that the daughter who followed was Cally, we had to ask if he was going to persevere until he reached Orac.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

My old department called its Suns one. two. three. and so on. I think they gave up at seventeen. Then they went on to football grounds for the PCs. Got quite obscure by the time they had 40 of them...

Some colleges allowed you to request names (within certain bounds of taste etc). Pick and dura were two early examples frommy college. I'll leave someone else to work out which college...

TL

Reply to
The Luggage

Sel(wyn)?

Reply to
August West

yup

TL

Reply to
The Luggage
[snip]

My machines are all named for rogue fictional AIs. A bit geeky I guess :/

Reply to
Paul Rudin