Timber shaping

+several

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Still I suppose not everyone subscribes to the "who dies with most tools wins" point of view ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Despite scepticism from some, I do already have a fair number of tools, even some which I inherited.

The longer answer is that the shaping of the corner brackets would have left exposed a lot of timber which was not end grain, and there is no practical way to protect this properly, and to match tanalised material. I could not tolerate the garish finishes that seem to be popular on the shelves nowadays.

Secondly, I have managed nearly 50 years of DIY without a jigsaw really being necessary, and there is nothing on the horizon right now that might need one. If I am wrong, then it is easily remedied.

It is a shame my brother-in-law lives so far away in Fife - he has a professional woodworking workshop. No contest on the number of tools he could bequeath.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Would not the same end grain treatment you linked to above been ok?

If not there is a clear cuprinol available (the proper solvent based one that actually sinks in)

Indeed. I suppose there is an element of chicken and egg here. If you have the tool sat there, then it enters your sub-concious as a possible solution to a problem. Without one, you think of other ways round it.

;-)

(lots of tools also pre-suppose that you want to dedicate the space to their storage)

Reply to
John Rumm

My concern was that the shape of the brackets are such that much of the cut surface is not really end grain.

I have to admit that last time I went on such a search I drew a blank, but Google now shows me that either things have changed, or my previous efforts (on jobs already done) were somewhat inept.

Perhaps I was simply blinded by what was on the shelves, and didn't actually look online. Anyway, water under the bridge (and falling on other timbers currently not yet rotten).

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon