tiling roof - interlocking concrete tiles

I'm now ready to tile my roof. Interlocking concrete tiles on monopitch roof with mono ridge. Now it seems pretty simple really, but I have a couple of questions.

  1. The tiles I am using must be fitted at a fixed gauge (low pitch forticrete centurion). So I'll probably end up with a part tile at the top. Should I just cut the top off the tile and drill a new nail hole a nail this to an elevated batten ? Most of this may end up being covered by the mono ridge tile anyway.

  1. Is it usual to fit a whole row of tiles at a time and walk over them to fit the rest ? I'd say its better to diagonally fit them (across and up) and then only have to walk over a few tiles to get down !

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You should space the battens so that you fit full tiles in to the top, that is to say, if they cover 300mm x 300mm, then you can evenly space the bottom rows, but when you get near the top, measure the gap and if it takes

3.5 tiles, increase the overlaps on four rows rather than cutting tiles in half - they don't sit correctly as the underside profile is different at the hole end IYSWIM.

no, you sit on the battens and fit the row closest to the fascia, then move back and fit the second row etc

You'll end up walking over them dozens of times, just tread carefully and try to stand in the centre of the bottom section of each tile - this is where the overlap is and where there is a batten below - stay away from the edges of the tiles as they snap like biscuits.

Reply to
Phil L

The only set lath is the first one at the eave; set out at the max gauge from this lath, on centurion is 300mm. If there is a short course at the top then increase the lap on ALL courses until the short course becomes a full course as the other entire courses. Do not adjust the top few courses. The top row of tiles should finish well under the short leg of the mono ridge. The biggest mistake on mono roofs is that the rafters do not go to the outside of the external wall and this mean that the top row of tiles does not reach under the ridge.

Lay the tiles in vertical rows of three wide from the right hand gable or verge. Kneel on the lath; this gives you a clear standing and walk way as you lay the tiles.

There is a set procedure for setting out the tiles to get equal overhang at the gable or verge. As walking on tiles, the best way is to push two tiles wide up and stand on the head of the tiles below. Are you putting an under cloak verge strip up the gable/ verge. Comb filer strips should be used with Anchor Contrarians at the eave.

If you require any more info just ask.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

They are centurion!! centurion!! slip of the spel cheaker

Reply to
Kipper at sea