Tiling on top of internal wall insulation (polystyrene)

Hi,
When I convert a room into bathroom (and get planning permission -
thanks for note) I want to insulate the walls. The house is a
Victorian brick-built end-of-terrace and the two external walls are
absolutely freezing (although we *are* in the Hertfordshire polar
winter currently).
As I understand I have two insulation options:
1. External insulation
2. Internal insulation
I don't want external cladding on my lovely two-tone Victorian
brickwork.
So I need internal insulation. One wall can be dry-lined, insulated
and plasterboarded as the room is big enough to take this loss of
depth. However, the other external wall "abutts" the door frame and
there is a 2cm "return" before the door frame on the internal wall.
So, another drylined wall is out of the question - because I wouldn't
be able to open the door.
If I use polystyrene sheets against the wall underneath ceramic
tiles
3. Would this setup this result in any thermal insulation benefit?
4. Would this polystyrene surface be strong enough to support tiles or
will the weight of the tiles pull the polystyrene away from the
underlying plaster?
5. If I had the plaster hacked off right back to the brick, could I
get enough depth to usefully dryline and insulate this wall?
Thanks
Clive
Reply to
Clive
I think every little helps, especially in reducing condensation.
I wouldn't put ceramic tiles over polystyrene. They would probably stick quite well but any little knock could crack the tile.
In my house you'd gain about 15mm that way.
Have you thought about tile panels? Not a great choice of designs, but only 3mm thick and most of that is the polystyrene backing.
Reply to
Stuart Noble
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:56:57 +0000 The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Sorry, if I implied otherwise, it wasn't intentional.
Reply to
Tony Bryer
Luxboard, aquapanel thermal, etc, lots of them around. There's a niche in the market for a PUR or phenolic backed board, though, as they all seem to be polystyrene-based - but maybe the cement face won't stick so well to the other foams or something. It is great stuff though, no phaffing around with separate layers of plasterboard (which is a pretty poor tile substrate anyway).
Reply to
Bolted
ooops, sorry, top-posting.
Probably because its aimed at the electric UFH market, where levels are a big constraint. It's very space efficient, so you gain back some thermal efficiency by trading 12.5mm of plasterboard for 10.5mm of polystyrene and 1mm of cement/fibre on each face.
Reply to
Bolted

Site Timeline Threads

  • Does anyone know who makes this for Wickes ?and availability of spares now and...

    UK Do-It-Yourself