Tiles on chipboard floor

Hi, Am I alright to put ceramic floor tiles straight onto an upstairs chipboard floor ? The floor seems sound although I guess it would benefit from adding some screws to firm it down completely. I would, normally, put down 18mm ply and tile onto that but that would cause a step up into the en-suite from the bedroom - not aesthetically pleasing ! I suppose I could put down a thin hardboard covering but will it be woth it ?

Cheers

Reply to
tzd3sw

Lol! We've just finished putting our ensuite walls and floor together, and we have a step up of 14"!! This was the only way we could accommodate the soil pipe.

Really depends on how bouncy your floor is. If it moves much when you jump on it, you really need the 3/4" ply on top.

Reply to
Grunff

Or find out where all the joists are and make sure the chipboard is screwed through tightly to them. Just don't rely on the hidden nail through the tongue technique normally used to fit chipboard flooring schemes.

Reply to
BigWallop