tiled shelf around bath

I'm about to rip out the old bathroom and put in a new suite. I'd like to put a 6" shelf accross the back and in front of the long sides of the bath (the ends butt up to the walls)

I presume I construct framework from some 2 x 1, but do I need anything special to tile onto? can I just use some plywood to form the shelf prior to tiling ? And the panel side, can I use plywood here too?

also, the bath itself, should the lip butt up to the framework, or should it sit on it? the latter would not allow movement when filled, so I've probably answered my own question here.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Vass

I think I understand what you're planning...

Personally I'd use exterior ply to face the frame and prime it before tiling. Use a waterproof tile adhesive and separate waterproof grout that you mix up from powder. Seal all joints with silicone sealant. There's been loads of threads on how to acheive a good result using masking tape etc.

I've used the above method on shower enclosure walls and it's absolutely fine.

What material is the bath?

If it's a plastic one it will benefit from as much support as possible. Personally I'd fix it to the frame you construct. Presumably you have picked your tiles already and planned the frame size to match so that you don't have any silly tile cutting to do?

Reply to
Fitz

Yes, cheap fibreglass bath from B & Q If I attach the bath at the top, so long as I pack the chipboard base with bricks or some sizeable timber, will this avoid the possibility of the top cracking? I fitted a similar bath a year ago in another house and it cracked becasue I fixed it at the top but perhpas without suffient packing beneath.

Tiles already purchased :-) Lady of the house wants these oblong tiles to go on in a landscape fashion round the bathroom, so they will go nicely on the shelf area around the bath.

thanks for replies and advice.

Reply to
Vass

They seem horrifically wobbly and flimsy before they are fitted.

The one I put in had a lump of 18mm (or maybe thicker) chipboard underneath fixed to the fibreglass shell.

Two metal supports were fixed to this just in from the ends. There was an additional foot to support the middle.

The supports had bolt holes for the feet which screwed to the floor. Once it was all done up nice and tight AND supported on the wall at two points AND supported at several other points by a simple frame I built... it was super stable and didn't move a millimetre when I half filled it with water before tiling.

So yes - the more support the better underneath and around the edges.

Reply to
Fitz

I'm sure you have already thought about this point, but it would be as well to consider exactly how the falls will be organised, so as to minimise pooling or dripping of any water splashed onto these shelves.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon