1550mm bath!

Anyone at all know of any stockist of a bath this long? Preferably 750-900 wide? A 1500mm standard bath leaves just that annoying little bit of space to fill with tiles etc and leads to leaks due to the shower over...

ADVthanksANCE

Mick

Reply to
deleted item

Try getting hold of a Bette catalogue from a bathroom shop (they have a website as well, can't remember offhand, Google your friend...) - when I was looking for a non-standard bath a couple of years ago they manufactured most sizes imaginable.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

I know this isn't the answer you want, but, having had to fit a 1500 bath into (yes) a 1550mm hole because I couldn't find a 1550mm bath, I reckon you're stuck with it. You'd better be, or I will be cross! :o)

What I did (FWIW) was to fit a piece of timber that filled the gap and extended up above the bath top about the same amount as the gap (all this at the non-tap end). You can then tile this as a little shelf for shampoo bottles etc., and the bath has vertical tiles all round coming down to the seal. MAKE SURE the little shelf slopes slightly towards the bath (unlike me :o(( ) otherwise water stays there and the dreaded mould takes over.

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I did exactly the same and its worked fine for a number of years. I did take the trouble to grout the tiles on the "shelf" with silicone sealant rather than grout.

Reply to
BillV

Yes, this is not *so* important between the tiles on the shelf, but where the shelf tiles meet the wall tiles, you should use silicone sealant as the wood my move slightly over time.

Remember to use high quality silicone sealant (that smells strongly of acetic acid) and remember that, when guarantees are printed on the tubes in years, these are special "sealant years" devised to fool the unwary. 5 sealant years equals 1 normal year. One that says "35 year guarantee" should be good for 7 years, which isn't bad.

Bob Mannix

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Well, what a good idea! I bought the house new 22 years ago, and the builder had botched horizontal tiles across the gap, which never really sealed. Thanks for that! The nearest I got was a 1570 x 750mm bath from Kaldewei, but this would require a bit of chasing out of plasterwork - which I also want to avoid.

Problem solved!

Reply to
deleted item

A tip I employed. If you are re-tiling, get some tiles that have matching border tiles (about 40-50mm high). Select the timber so that the vertical face of the little shelf can be tiled neatly with uncut border tiles, and carry on with these round the bath edge. This makes it fit in much better visually. Naturally this is a lot easier if the bath top edge is level! The wall tiles can then be continuous (if you are careful) along and down to the top of the shelf and round to the next wall IYSWIM. The slightly sloping, cut, top tiles for the shelf then butt their cut edges up to the wall tiles and you cover the gap with silicone mastic. You do have to bodge something up for the exposed end of the bit of wood, because if you leave it several years it becomes a bone of contention (trust me!)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Me too - and if you make the shelf at the opposite end of the bath from where the shower is it's unlikely to be affected by the spray anyway. And I expect you'll save a bundle by going for a standard bath size.

In another house I put the surplus 3 or 4 inches of space at the shower end, using the extra space to conceal all the plumbing for the shower, which had the feasibility of a removable panel at the side to provide service access to the pipework.

David

Reply to
Lobster