Tile Saws of the Electric Kind

So actual on the job training and experience counts for nothing these days as long as you have the website

That's good pity they didn't do a skills test to match the claims judging from your recent questions and answers

I may be pissing you off its not you as a person that that I find annoying it's the complete lack of safeguards for the public regarding tradesmen handymen professionals call them whatever you like anyone can set themselves up in business as bob the builder and take the public for a ride with impunity

Reply to
George Tingsley

I doubt it as my job doesn't come under the heading of DIY. However, there are certainly skilled amateurs who can do at least some parts of it very well as a hobby.

One thing's certain. You wouldn't make a living copy clearing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, yes. But Dave is doing nothing like that by his openness on here and his website, etc.

You want to hear personal experiences of dodgy qualified trades persons?

Prepare for a long thread...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll retain my opinion but if you were stung enough to reply, it is only reasonable that you should do your homework before you criticise your critics - there's been seven posts from me during April. I could have gone further back but that is enough of a metric for me to be satisfied that I am a contributing member who has knowledge and can recognise situations where it is valid to pass it on.

There is no way we should criticise one another as DIYer's, but when someone starts moving into the area of being paid for his work and asks for advise on a pretty basic tool, then that is a different ball game all together, and it does make one wonder just how much experience you have and whether you should be subjecting the public to your capabilities.

Rob

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I'll type this slowly so you will understand.

I have quite a lot of experience in wall tiling; 2 kitchens & 2 bathrooms of my own, a kitchen & shower room for my sister in law, a kitchen for my daughter and a bathroom for my mother in law. I've done each well and everyone has been happy. I have no qualms about my ability to do small tiling jobs.

I have never used an electric tile saw. It may well be a basic tool now, but when I did my first 2 kitchens & bathrooms tile saws didn't exist at a DIY level.

Not being a 'know it all' I decided to ask people who may have more knowledge & experience in using electric tile saws what there opinions were. I have learned from the many positive contributions and I now have more information on which to base my decision.

None of which gives you the right to call me a cawboy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The message from "The Medway Handyman" contains these words:

He does understand, he's just trolling. Ignore him.

Reply to
Guy King

No, I'm not trolling - I'm actually coming from a definite point of view about amateurs who take on professional work, and it is a point of view that shouldn't be ignored.

My brother was a cabinet maker - he has had to diversify because one of the causes of the reduction in demand for his skills, OK a lot of it is due to the far eastern supplies, is amateurs, usually retirees with money and time who are taking his business and often or not charging little more than the material costs. Last week end I met another guy running an alpine plant nursery - his biggest problem ? retirees buying an acre of so of land and competing with him without all the business overheads.

All right you are doing just the one job but that is doing some tradesman out of his bread and butter, and you won't have all the overheads that he has, including paying the appropriate taxes, insurance, etc. Great for you and OK for the customer who is getting cheap job, but at whose expense?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I only see replies to his posts. He's KFd.

Reply to
<me9

If you could point at the law that says I am obliged to keep tradespeople in work?

Besides, IME, most of them royally deserve to go out of business; many of us DIY because of the appalling standard of workmanship of your average tradesperson picked out of the YP.

Reply to
Huge

I'd suggest you read the thread more carefully.

And if you think 'trades' should be protected from competition you're way out of step with everything which has happened in the last 20 odd years in this country.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Once again you make assumptions without facts. Doing some tradesman out of his bread & butter? Its my bread & butter as well. This is how I earn my full time living & pay the bills. Simple competition is all it is.

I certainly do have all the overheads including paying the appropriate taxes & NI. I have full PL insurance, a business policy on the car, an accountant, logo'ed corporate clothing, quality sign writing on the vehicle, quality stationery etc. I don't undercut anyone to my knowledge, in fact my prices are higher than some.

My marketing plan is not to 'give the customer a cheap job', but to be (a) multi trade and (b) take on small jobs that tradesmen aren't interested in.

Last week I turned away two very large decorating jobs, refering them to a mate who is a professional decorator. They were simply too big for me. I told the clients that although I could do the job, what would take me 4 days could be done by a full time pro decorator in 3 days. My advice was gratefully recieved.

I don't want 4 days solid work on one job. I want 6 - 8 jobs in that time because I can earn more. The customer benefits by not having to employ 4 different tradesmen.

Try getting a plumber to change a tap washer. You will find they are all too busy doing CORGI work.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Correct, you're using Google groups, you have a btinternet account, you can't be arsed to include enough context from the post you are replying to tomake it clear what you are on about.

You're not trolling, you're just stupid.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Its his problem then. If the others don't have overheads doing a job why does he? Maybe he should do his own books instead of paying an accountant?

Reply to
dennis

The message from "robgraham" contains these words:

At the expense of people who can't compete. Annoying though it is, there's a free market. There will be a spread of qualities - some people won't be able to make a living doing things slowly and carefully and excellently because the market won't bear it.

Reply to
Guy King

Fair enough - apologies. However as far as the 'assumption' is concerned, it is reasonable to assume that all the people on a DIY (DO IT YOURSELF) forum are amateurs at the various topics of the building trades, etc that are being discussed. Hence my posting.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If this includes yourself remember that amateur does not necessarily equate to being less knowledgeable in a skill than all pros. The reverse also is true. Just look at some of dribble's posts for proof.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are these the Justin and wotsisface programs? :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

I've only used my electric saw once when doing the kitchen and I held the guard back with a rubber band .I also sat the saw in an old cat litter tray to take the excess water and stop it running allover the place .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart