Those "problem with your computer" calls

Just as a matter of interest I logged a complaint with the TPS and received the following reply:-

"Thank you for your email.

Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of UK based companies, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number. We do make the file available to overseas based companies under licence for the purpose of suppression so they know whom not to telephone but, many overseas companies who telephone the UK on their own account from overseas do so to avoid legal and self regulatory restrictions.

If it is deemed by TPS that the unsolicited direct marketing call that you received from overseas was from or made on behalf of a company with presence in the UK we will investigate, and raise a complaint in the UK against the offending company where it is possible to do so.

We would advise caution in responding to unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls from overseas especially if they are asking you to send them money or using a premium rate phone line (numbers beginning with

09). If you receive an unsolicited sales and/or marketing call from an overseas company you should contact the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) who are the government body responsible for enforcing the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Communications Regulations 2003. Their details are:

The Information Commissioners Office

Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Tele: 03031231113, Fax: 01625 524510

Email: snipped-for-privacy@ico.gsi.gov.uk Web:

I hope that the above information is of help to you."

Reply to
David Kennedy

correspondents

But they're not ringing of behalf of UK companies. There's f*ck all = that the TPS can do.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

On 30/11/2011 17:06, David Kennedy wrote: snip

.. so that's where they got my number :-(

Pete

Reply to
Pete Shew

TPS can do.

It would be nice if BT got it's act together and displayed all incoming numbers or, failing that, allowed you to refuse them without a silly charge.

Reply to
David Kennedy

Now then, let's get this back on-topic. I just had one of these calls and initially there was no one there. Then there was a ringing tone just as if I called the US. Only then did someone pick up and start speaking about my computer. So I hung up. They must have some auto-dialling kit so the operators just sit there and wait for the phone to ring.

Reply to
Tim Streater

They all do. The callouts are scripted, and once someone picks up the script connects an operator.

There are rules (well, hints really, the regulators being toothless) about how long the gap between caller pickup and operator onnection is, and how much a company can get away with overcalling and having no operators on hand to take the connected call.

Which everyone ignores, foreign callers even more so.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

It appears that, in response to censure of "silent calls", there has been a change. Now, if there is nobody free to take the dialled call, just before it drops the line, a voice says "Goodbye".

Not impressed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Jaimie,

these guys are criminal fraudsters. Why on earth do you think they'd care about call centre silent call rules?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I know the topic starter was criminal, but I was diverging off into the generic use of automated caller systems (hateful things).

Usenet does that. It's a pub conversation, not a lecture theater.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

No, it's Usenet - which means it's a pub chat AND a lecture theatre - and all manner of other things.

Rowland.

Reply to
Rowland McDonnell