Those cheap IR thermometers

messagenews:hiot8c$38o$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

I remember that one!. I'd bought the DIY PCB kit (still have the booklet) and was suitably enlightened by the man/women detector. Having ruined the kitchen worktop with etchant my mother decided to take a dislike to my new hobby :)

Reply to
john

Two guesses: a) It figured out the size of the shadow cast? b) It somehow measured how much radio wave was absorbed thus indicating blubber content and guessed from there?

mark

Reply to
mark

The way I did it very many years ago was to measure the colour balance of light reflected from the leg, just below the knee. This worked surprisingly well, but clothing fashions have changed since then.

Back to infra-red thermometers...

I noticed that the accuracy is specified as +/- 2.5 % of the reading (or +/- 2.5 deg C) whichever is the greater. This means that for some temperatures the accuracy specification is quite different depending on whether a Celcius or Fahrenheit display is selected.

Specifying temperature accuracy as a percentage is often done, but seems a very odd thing to do.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Hope they are as good as you say they are. I've just ordered two :-) [Are you on commision?]

The second one is for a friend - I intend to drive him wild with jealousy by ostentatiously checking the temperature of everything I can find before giving him the gadget of his dreams.

Bloody hell - simple things etc......

....I must get out more :-(

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Cold

blubber content and guessed from there? Colder

Reply to
Graham.

Clue 1: We didn't actually digress .

Clue 2: It may be that this technique would have been more accurate in the '60 than now

Clue 3: It would tend to be biased towards erroneously detecting females as males.

Clue 4: In Scotland under some circumstances that bias would be reversed.

Reply to
Graham.

By how long they stopped to look at it, wondering what it was?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

0 deg C + or - 2.5% would still be O deg C.

So presumably one would have to work in Kelvin.

So for a nice warm day of 27 deg C (for easy numbers) =300 deg K

The 2.5% accuracy gives + or -7 deg C

or Somewhere between 20deg C and 34 deg C ?

mark

Reply to
mark

Well if the project concerned was teh RF one then I'd say detection of the various bits of metal work sewn into the fairer sexs unde garments.

But I thing you are really refering to another project that is probably IR or heat related. So possibly detecting more warmth from the upper chest area on females in low cut tops/dress's compared to males in jacket and tie.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What about Eddie Izzard? ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Measuring the heat radiated downwards?

Up yer kilt!

John

Reply to
JohnW

Or Edie Erzzard?

Reply to
PeterC

Two buttons? One marked Press for Lemon Smell and the other DO NOT PRESS.

Reply to
Geo

I bought one to balance my radiators (needs doing again since I opened everything up to drain the system down). I used it today to check on temperatures of things involving epoxy. Very handy.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon