Combi timer

We have recently had a Ravenheat combi boiler fitted in a cupboard at floor level. This position makes it very difficult to read the dial for the timer. I asked Ravenheat whether it would be possible to have the dial relocated elsewhere on the boiler, or externally, by extending wiring. They replied that I could use a remote timer which must have volt free connections (whatever than means), but this is not something that they supply. Does anyone know how to get a remote timer, preferably one that I could fit myself?

David, Manchester.

Reply to
David White

Any timer will let you control a relay to give volt free switching. All you need is a solenoid relay that works with a mains voltage coil on the solenoid. They're not to big so could probably fit inside the boiler near the original timer unit. It all depends on what Ampage the contacts need to be rated at for the boiler control.

You're looking for something like these on the top of row of pictures:

new timer will only control the coil that operates the relay switching. The relay then operates the boiler controls by switching them on or off when the relay switching activates. That way you can fit any timer unit to control the solenoid relay.

Reply to
BigWallop

Just get a heating timer with volts free contacts. Even a bog-standard timer like a Honeywell ST699 has them, so I expect more modern ones do too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Or go for a programmable thermostat instead, leave the boiler timer set to permenently on and then you can tell the stat what temperatures you want and when (rather than the crude "on or off" control you get with a normal timer)

Reply to
John Rumm

Set the boiler to run continously, and wire in a Honeywell CM67NG RF controller, put the reciver close to the boiler, the main control unit in an approprate place in the house.

Reply to
James Salisbury

David White

> David.

That looks like the hardwired version use it to replace your current room stat, frig the timer so heating is on constant and use the cm67 to control the heating.

Reply to
James Salisbury

They mean use a programmable thermostat and don't bother using the onboard timer. Alternatively, use a conventional thermostat and a separate timer, but this has loads of disadvantages and even costs more.

A search for "programmable thermostat + uk" will reveal about 500 models to choose from, from as many suppliers.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle