Those cheap IR thermometers

got one - quite an eye-opener when I measured the external wall temps of my place. Ground temp is 0degC Sky temp is -7.5degC (low cloud) Outside wall temp of living room is 5degC Inside of room is 18degC. This is uninsulated 10" thick concrete blockwork.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've just got one of those. First thing I found out was my fridge was 6 deg., so I've turned it up (or is it down)?) They also function as a fridge magnet.

mark

Reply to
mark

I got one too. What's wrong with 6 deg C for a domestic fridge? In fact it's the default setting for my Bosch fridge freezer, -18 for the freezer.

Did you make yours warmer or colder?

Reply to
Graham.

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

They're great toys aren't they.

I've just traced a partial blockage in a cast iron downpipe by pouring in boiling water and monitoring the pipe with the IR thermometer. There was more thermal mass at the blockage and it held its temperature longer. A drain snake and some caustic cleared the blockage.

Great too for spotting (from the inside) which walls need priority treatment with extra insulation. Now is the time to do the survey for remedial works in the summer.

Reply to
fred

Didn't realise 6deg was the default. Seemed a bit warm so I turned it to be colder.

mark

Reply to
mark

According to my thermometer it should be in the range 0-5. But I doubt that it's correct to +/- 1 degree anyway.

tim

Reply to
tim....

I suppose they can be used to check the temp of a river if you are going fishing ( temp decides tactics as it suggests where fish will be lying ...deep or shallow)

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

It's a bit warm, salmonella grows at 7C. Below 5C but above 0C is recommended, 3 or 4C is about ideal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Graham. wibbled on Thursday 14 January 2010 18:36

Mine's 4C. I think that wasn't the default, but because it's a fairly even temperature distribution inside, I went with colder. Food certainly keeps a good couple of days longer than it used to.

Reply to
Tim W

is it down)?)

At 4 deg indicated, the milk begins to freeze, but the firmware in my Bosch is certainly hiding the short and medium-term variations from the display.

Reply to
Graham.

I think it's lying about the temperature as well, a quick google indicates that milk freezes about -0.5C. Now +/- 1C in the display I could accept but not +4C.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember fred saying something like:

Exactly that. I've noted the temps at various spots for comparison after external cladding and will take more readings next winter. Absolute accuracy isn't really necessary - it's more a rough guide, but I like the use and feel of the gadget so might get a better one to play with later.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That would also depend on the air temperature in the room.

My spare room had an inside wall temperature of 12C (yes, I got one of these thermometers a few days ago too). However, that room is unheated, so I would expect it to be cold.

Measuring the difference in temperature between the inside and outside of each wall would be better. That way you see the temperature gradient, and by how much it is heating outside. If my inside wall is 12C, but the outside is barely above ground temperature, then that means it is likely to be well insulated, but unheated. An inside of 18C and outside temperature halfway between that and the ground temperature would tell you that a lot of heat is flowing out.

I wonder if there are any decent tables around where you can plug in the two temperatures, the ground and inside air temperatures, and pull out the thermal coefficient?

These solid walls are also quite a buffer. In the summer when we get a few cold days after a run of hot days, the house still feels very warm inside even onto the third day. The heat goes into the outside of the walls and just keeps coming through.

-- Jason

Reply to
Jason

What the IR thermometer has revelled is a 4 deg differential between the top and bottom of the interior, so maybe I should move the milk-bottle trough nearer the top of the door and reduce the temp setting a few degrees?

Reply to
Graham.

Can be interesting to contrast the temperature of a horizontal surface exposed to space on a clear night (radiative heat loss) to that of the air temperature (using something hanging in free air but not exposed to the sky).

Cloud height makes a big difference. I've seen -55C for high clouds.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

These eBay ones are only -20 to +220C unfortunately

Reply to
Graham.

Mine is only calibrated down to -30C, but it can read lower.

In theory, you should be able to point to a completely clear sky and get -270C cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation, but a little hand-held unit like this is never going to see that - would need to be much bigger and different wavelength sensitivity. If I try, it simply fails to find a temperature.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What is the outside air temp?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel" saying something like:

Was about 1.5degC

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Actually this thread has reminded me about a little booklet of circuit diagrams I had as a teenager in about 1968. The most complex project in it was a 27Mhz transceiver with super-regenerative receiver of the style which was in vogue at the time, but the project I am reminded of in this context was a "Sex Discriminator". X number of people could walk past this device and in theory it could count them as Y males and Z females.

Can you guess how it worked?

Reply to
Graham.