Thermostat wiring problem

I need to replace my old thermostat, which is cracked, and have bought a new one. The problem is that it isn't clear where the power source is supplied from, so I am having problems safely isolating it. Any tips, please?

Reply to
Mike

The big main switch on the consumer unit.

Test your electrical tester against a known live source.

Switch off.

Test your thermostat wiring for dead.

Test your electrical tester again against a known live source.

Owain

(Spot the deliberate flaw in this procedure.)

Reply to
Owain

I presume you're talking about a room thermostat which controls the central heating?

If so, the whole heating system - boiler, pump, zone valves (if any) - should all be fed from a single FCU. If you find that and switch it off, the stat should be safe to work on - but check it with a mains voltmeter (*not* a neon screwdriver!) anyway.

Reply to
Set Square

attach voltmeter, pop breakers until it goes off. And if you dont know that, leave it alone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks guys, its obvious really. Mike