Thermocouple positioning

Hi all,

I have installed a new thermocouple in my Main Medway Super boiler - I just want to know about the positioning - should it be making contact at the junction point or should there be a tiny gap ? - I've got it making contact and the pilot light went out again after a while.

cheers

Snoggy

Reply to
Snoggy

It has to be in the flame. If the pilot won't stay lit with a new thermocouple, there might be some crud in the pilot jet, the height of the pilot flame may need adjusting - or the gas valve may be faulty.

Reply to
Set Square

The end 10mm should be in the flame and not in contact with anything else. The pilot assembly should more or less hold it in the right position IIRC there is not much scope for alternative positions.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

thanks for replies - I meant the other end of the thermocouple - should it be touching the electromagnet unit ?

Reply to
John Smith

It screws into the pilot valve assembly there is usually an overheat cut out connection in between.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On mine, it screws into the top of the overheat cutout connector. A separate piece of concentric cable goes on to the valve assembly.

The centre end of the cable (looks like thin copper pipe) needs to made a good electrical contact, or the thermocouple won't work and the pilot will go out as soon as you release the button (or maybe later if you have a bad contact, as opposed to no contact).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel