The price of timber

Oh My Days! The internet confirms - "The material is now more than 64 per cent more expensive than it was in July 2020" If only I had planted some trees.

Reply to
TimW

My contractor for my fence was muttering about this a few months ago, and its no good blaming Brexit as the problem exists all over Europe. What is the reason? Who knows.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Probably Covid Massive downturn in demand in North America and Europe for 18 months followed by an almost immediate demand to previous levels. Shortage of supply and the available stock goes to the highest bidder.

And then you have the two competing green campaigns, on one side build more houses from wood because its more eco friendly than using brick and cement and on the other side STOP cutting down trees.

Reply to
alan_m

A lot of timber comes from Russia and they have been restricting exports, just like they have been doing with Natural Gas.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

By the time they are ready to fell the price will have dropped.

Reply to
Brian

Well obv - when I sold my premium bonds and bought bitcoin the value halved within weeks.

TW

Reply to
TimW