The perpetual " Cornish" problem - damp and mold.

sweetheart wrote:

Just the one comment. Cheap bleach is rubbish, Domestos is the dog's tasty bits.
On Sunday, 1 October 2017 16:18:49 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Do you mean dangly bits?
Although I do know someone from Korea, I could ask him next time I see him.
Owain

If you warm up the same moisture laden air the (relative) humidity will go down, humidity is just a measure of how much moisture the air ( at that temperature will hold) e.g. 15C 100% humidity air warmed to 21C will be 70% humidity. So letting colder air in will not necessarily let in more moisture.
Robert wrote:

    Why not just knock the place down and start again?

I have no idea how sound the science behind that claim may be, but it certainly makes a lot of sense. We really didn't see mould in most ordinary houses 50-60 years ago, but these days, it is everywhere. Why? My grandparents, like so many people then, had a room which was only used on high days and holidays, yet it was never mouldy. No central heating of course, and the fire lit Boxing Day.
--
Graeme

It isnt.

No it doesn't.

No it isnt, particularly in the super insulated houses in scandinavia etc.

Odd way to do things, particularly with the real standard of living so much lower for most people. We never operated like that and I am older than you.

No mould in my place, even in the room where the shower is.

And draughty as all hell presumably.
But the scandinavians prove that superinsulated can be done properly and you don't end up with mould everywhere.
On 01/10/2017 08:54, sweetheart wrote:

How about posting photos of the house, the ventilators and the mould?
--
Robin
On Sunday, 1 October 2017 08:54:41 UTC+1, sweetheart wrote:

bout wet and damp weather and condensation in old ( and over insulated ma ybe?) houses.

or heat the rain and the wind outside. My condensation and mold problems a re returning and they are spreading. What was a problem in the kitchen has now it the whole house. Its musty, stinking and black mold is growing in a lot of corners.

not leaking roof, guttering or anything else. I have cut back trees and che cked under the floor. This is a condensation issue - beyond stopping breath ing. I am at a loss.

all manner of energy efficiency - and I did - problem made worse! Its st ill biggest in the kitchen ( where I have both a de humidifier and a heater now)

with the kitchen at around 15 C). I have even had one heater on all summer .....

) which promises to sort it out ( but, hey, promises, promises?)

ow?
Most condensation problems originate from moisture generated inside the bui lding and are best tackled at source.
EG cooker hood to get rid of steam from cooking. Extract fan in bathroom/shower cubicle.
Don't forget, You have to let air in to replace that extracted.
[...]

Dehumidifier really is the way to go. Ventilation achieves less RH reductio n, and in winter at much higher price. HRV beats bare ventilaion but still DH is better.
Options: A 2nd dehumidifier Adding a 400w building type type - but as they're more noisy and use a big fan you may want to just run that when you're out. And is the current dehumidifier working correctly?
For paint there are various additives you can put in, eg copper sulphate, z inc sulphate, aspirin. Cleaning existing moudy areas with bleach can help.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Dehumidifier http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Mould_Resistant_Paint
NT