The Men Who Made Us Spend

Even VW are going downhill - mine has had a number of electrical faults:

ABS box,

Cruise control switch,

Weird blankouts of the odometer display,

Diesel pipes seem to get an airlock if parked facing uphill for 2-3 weeks (EasyStart to the rescue),

Interior light dodgey.

Having said that, I like driving it - it drives "my way" - firm, not under powered, mentally efficient, extremely confident steering. It is a shame that the rot seems to be setting in around the edges.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

And the regulators really answer to no-one.

Reply to
bert

No DIY content, it's not a TV newsgroup and it's a rehash of another programme?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Yes it was just the limts but they have been static for nearly two decades now.

The volts may drop year on year as additional load is added (new premises etc) until there is a complaint or someone checks. Then you get moved onto a higher voltage tap. Eventually the taps come close to running out and another transformer / additional or upgraded HV feed is brought in.

Reply to
The Other Mike

There were mass recalls in the early 90's on a wide range of Sony sets for faulty mains switches that arced and smoked away when the sets were switched off for the night. It was a Japanese produced component, even on the UK manufactured sets.

Reply to
The Other Mike

The Other Mike scribbled...

Much of posting here relates to fixing domestic products, which is the subject of the programme. If you're unable to see the connection, you're a prat.

Reply to
Jabba

The Other Mike scribbled...

What are you doing making posts in an thread with no relevance to this group?

Reply to
Jabba

/ Jabba The Other Mike scribbled...

Fishing for trolls?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Oh FFS lighten up

Reply to
The Other Mike

Get back to your hut

Reply to
The Other Mike

You need a space for the Gazunder.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

On 15/07/2014 11:35, Andrew wrote: ...

Initially, but the long term aim is that the voltages will be changed to the nominal voltages as equipment is replaced / upgraded.

Reply to
Nightjar

Whose equipment?

I don't intend to replace any of mine.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Andrew laid this down on his screen :

That is likely a very local thing, because nothing much should have changed in the UK with the supply voltage. Ours is always between 238 and 243v, except for a brief period when we got 230v and I persueded them to re-adjust the tapping. Your 187v was well below the allowed spec and should have been reported.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Eventually either the stuff dies or its owner does.

Reply to
Huge

Rod Speed presented the following explanation :

A reasonable excuse in my mind, is the technical improvement in such items over the years. I would not welcome still using an 8080 processor these days, I have always kept my PC reasonably up to date since the

8080 days, but always held a few years behind the latest.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 7/15/2014, charles supposed :

Which I have never read. Japanese TV's were better built, more up to date and lasted much longer, as I found.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I mentioned it to the local electrical retailer, who also does Part P work, and his response was 'so what, did anything stop working ?'.

Reply to
Andrew

Electricity distribution equipment, which is what sets your supply voltage.

Reply to
Nightjar

Fridge/freezer compressors (particularly more recent ones), and fluorescent lamps, typically.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel