The best kettle?

Yes, I've never had problems with a kettle. Get a cheapish fast boil one, it er, boils fast and thats it. Maybe if you have acidic water if could speed corrosion, but it thats the case, surely kettle descaler would destroy the thing in minutes ! So what if you have to buy a new one every 5 years ? Get one for christmas ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We've had 2 Russell Hobbs in 31 years. The current one is still going strong.

Reply to
Huge

In message , Mike Barnes writes

Well, just for you I've checked :-)

Yes, even with the filter in place. Not quite as fast as via the lid but a perfectly acceptable speed. But always use the lid, it pops up at the press of the button and stays up by itself.

Yup. The switch wasn't at all hesitant about saying latched on.

The possible downsides of it are that is relatively heavy being double walled stainless steel. Some people say that they are a bit noisy. ISTR that it was noisier than our old plastic one, but if anything it is less noisy now than new. F-I-L commented recently on how much quieter it is than their kettle.

A few of the Amazon reviewers aren't happy with theirs, but this seems par for the course for such things. Maybe Magimix had some quality control issues. But ours has worked faultlessly. And if it is as reliable as the food processor we got as a wedding present 13 years ago I'll be happy.

Reply to
chris French

Both our previous kettles (plastic, with 'windows', like most kettles nowadays) failed due to the windows. First one the palstic of the window seemed to degrade and I put my finger through it one day. Second - the body cracked along the join with the window.

Because I really don't like just throwing away things like that

Reply to
chris French

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

I grabbed an old Russell Hobbs of similar design that was being tossed out. New element, Bob's yer auntie and good for another 25 years. I'm on the lookout for an old Swan of bigger, heavier design.

Yep. None of the pricey or cheap ones I've had in the past twenty odd years have lasted longer than four years or so and many of them leak terminally after two years. The current Breville is still boiling ok, but the fancy flashing lights gave up after the first week.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

You'll be wanting something like this then:

Andrew May

Wot, even noisier than our new Breville? Wakes up the missus if she's asleep in our room above the kitchen - personally I don't know what was wrong with the 4.99 GBP Tesco job which it replaced, but as it was her that bought the Breville I have no sympathy!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Current beastie is a Hitachi Ket2:

went round fondling all of the multitude in a Currys a couple of years ago - that was what we came back with.

Plus points were: well made, comfortable to pick up, pours well, stainless, 2L, 3KW, good handle etc. Push button to open lid that stays open so easy to fill, and a filter contraption to catch the substantial scale content of our water.

On the downside its a bit pricey. No idea what the life will be like yet!

Reply to
John Rumm

Ours is 24yo. The plastic is starting to perish, but it still works and I see no need to replace it.

Reply to
Steve Slatcher

24 years, that could be before they started making "plastic" biodegradeable... I doubt a modern plastic kettle will last 24 years. Out last one had done about ten but bits of it inside were flaking off and other areas had gone soft.

Clearing out my Dad's house last month we'd find ordinary supermarket carrier bags that are of the 20 year vintage, good as new. Ones from the last few years fall apart into crumbs the moment you touch 'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Isn't that a modern 'design feature' though - to stop them lasting 1,000 years in landfill?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wibbled on Saturday 03 April 2010 12:20

I just bought some plantpots and noticed the "biodegradable" sticker. Not sure I want plantpots that biodegrade in contact with soil???!!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, the plants will, so why not the plant pots?

Dave

Reply to
Dave