The best kettle?

Hi there,

We are currently on the look out for yet another new kettle, we have been through many from Breville, Rusell Hobbs, Prestige etc

All of them end up leaking after a few years of use, so can any of you recommend a kettle that will last a long time and do the job quickly and effectively, it will have to be a rapid boil element.

Thanks

Reply to
David

Magimix. Expensive. Had it about a year. Can't fault it.

Reply to
dom

Krups FLF2 (IIRC).

Shame they only do black. We've got the previous model in white.

Reply to
Rod

How old is it? Reviews don't look very promising.

Black will match our kitchen perfectly.

Reply to
David

At least 5 years. Being the FLF1 it is only 1700 watts - maybe the higher rating of the FLF2 makes it less reliable?

It is lighter than many - which is a significant advantage for us now (not when we bought it).

Reply to
Rod

People are complaining of problems leaky handles, failing switches etc, Funny though as some people have had no problems at all.

Good, useful point :)

Reply to
David

David wibbled on Monday 29 March 2010 21:07

My Tefal Vitess Gold Hi-Speed is still going strong since about 2003-4.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , David writes

Dualit:-)

Still going after 15 years use. You will also have the satisfaction of owning the noisiest kettle in the world!

The external element makes them easy to clean if you are in a hard water area.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Plastic ones tend to or the plastic starts to fall apart.

That sort of rules out the traditional in water element kettle of all metal construction. Donno if any of the all metal rapid boil jug type are any similaryly long lasting. We;ve just brought another Breville Lighting, the base contacts on the old one had given up and the plastic around the inside of the spout was deteriating, didn't leak though. I think that may have been in use for 10 years so not to shabby...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The best kettle I have ever owned is a very cheap unbranded white plastic one from Tesco. It cost £5.97 about five years ago. I bought it because its predecessor, a designer kettle from Bodum, had failed after 15 months. It was only a stopgap until I found a better looking replacement.

After five years of being boiled probably 8-10 times a day (I work from home and drink a lot of coffee) it was still going strong when we finally replaced it two months ago with something more attractive. It was f'ugly. Its £30 Russell Hobbs successor looks nice but is no better at boiling water. I have no idea whether it will last as long.

Reply to
Bruce

I think you want the Anna Kettle.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I remember the days when an electric kettle got filled with water, and boiled. If it ran dry, the plug popped out the back.

If the element went, you bought a new element. Ty[typical life was 25+ years.

Now they are all utter crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Although I have an affinity for Dualit stuff on account of build quality and serviceability, I have to say that their range of kettles is pretty dire.

I've had a Russell Hobbs 3064 'cordless' for several years now, and it seems to be my most reliable to date (famous last words!). I have no idea about availability of replacement elements (the element isn't visible in this one); I think most kettles nowadays are intended to be 'throw-away' designer accessories.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I couldn't agree more. The elements in most kettles were identical, reasonably cheap and relatively easy to replace.

But I suppose the Tesco £5.97 cheap kettle is cheaper than today's price of a replacement element.

Reply to
Bruce

Phut!!!

Oh, bugger. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

One like this? :

Yup, I bought one of those about a year ago, still really pleased with it.

Reply to
chris French

I agree. Ours was really bad. But the toaster is great!

Reply to
Bob Eager

My Russell Hobbs is just over 12 years old.

Reply to
S Viemeister

chris French :

A couple of questions:

1 Can you easily fill it through the spout? 2 If you boil it, empty it, refill it immediately, switch it on, does it always *stay* switched on?
Reply to
Mike Barnes

The Natural Philosopher :

But it took up a lot of room on the worktop. You had to unplug it to fill it then plug it in again afterwards. The lid was awkward and had to be removed for filling. It was very heavy. The attached cord made life difficult if there were left- and right-handed users. You had to take the lid off to see how much water was in it, and even then there were no graduations. You couldn't boil less than a pint or so. Etc.

Well, most. But they're dirt cheap.

Reply to
Mike Barnes