The batteries are coming tomorrow

There must be some fair trading rule against that, so everyone has the expectation of being treated fairly.

S.

Reply to
SH

In message <sirri1$ik4$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, at 08:23:44 on Mon, 27 Sep

2021, SH snipped-for-privacy@spam.com remarked:

"Fairly" means there being one price for walk-ins, and another for account holders. Commonplace.

Reply to
Roland Perry

An outlet can have a price policy, as long as it doesn't discriminate against protected characteristics.

It's very common practice. Tradesmen will put a markup on items they sell to customers and this generally forms part of their income. The last thing they want is a punter to get the same deal or see how much profit they make.

Reply to
Fredxx

Wardrobing - order on line, wear it once, send it back.

Reply to
bert

In article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net writes

Buying something thing like that I go to the manufacturers web site and download the user guide.

Reply to
bert

yes my ex used to do that. Also buy half price end of line items on line then sell them on ebay at full price less 10%.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A common practice for car tyre sellers is to have one price for on-line pre-paid, another price if you phone up first (making sure that the quoted price includes balancing, vat, values* etc. ) and another higher price if you just drive in.

*These days the valve may/will not be replaced because it has the trye pressure sensor and transmitter.

Builder merchants are good at making up prices for walk in customers.

Reply to
alan_m

So just tell them you want a better price.

What a trade counter does not want is clueless bastards at the counter spending £20 and wasting time asking questions about what they need to purchase when staff have £10K orders to supply and deliver.

Walk in with the correct details of what you want and they are usually OK.

Reply to
ARW

Agree with ARW.

Demonstrate that you're a "professional expert" and that you talk the proper language that "demostrates" you are a subject matter expert and then they will give you a trade price as then they are led to believe you're a serious "tradesperson" rather than Joe public.

For instance:

A double check valve on a combi boiler is a "Disconnector"

smooth 100 by 50 mm battens is 4 x 2 PAR (PAR is planed all round)

Ditto for flooring joists, state that you want C16 or C24.

don't ask for ring main cable, its 2.5mm 2 T&E

ANother example, a heating engineer calls a "puddle on the floor" standing water.

its not bottom coat / top coat plaster, its Carlite browning and carlite bonding ( or its thistle equivalents)

I've also gained a collection of trade account cards as well as I am then taken seriously.

S.

Reply to
SH

I always do:-)