The batteries are coming tomorrow

I'm not convinced many in the younger generations do generally "want to see the kit up close" before they buy. They just want to be able to return it easily (without charge) if they don't like it.

Reply to
Robin

You can't get a haircut on-line, either.

Reply to
charles

Fine for one off, if you've got scales, but when it's a'bulk' posting of

30, then stamps might be easier.
Reply to
charles

In message snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com, Robin snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com writes

Which works well when they go into the shop, look at it, and then buy it there, rather than going into the shop, look at it, then go online and find it cheaper somewhere else (probably a warehouse only operation).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Smoke alarms usually chirrup twice a minute when the battery is low (but not dead).

Reply to
Max Demian

Having lost all four banks in our not-so-small town (15k including the next village that now runs into it) our main post office is now busy with banking services.

Reply to
newshound

I dropped into the once-thriving Cribbs Causeway shopping centre north of Bristol the other day, it's nearly dead. I guess some of it has decamped to the new city centre, but even Wickes has gone.

Reply to
newshound

Pound shops usually sell PP3s, also alkaline AAs and AAAs in fours. You've got to be careful about Poundland as now a lot of their stuff is more (or less) than £1 and poorly labelled.

The only batteries I buy online are LR44s at 5 or 6 pounds for 10. (2 or

3 pounds each from Boots, even if bought in quantity.)
Reply to
Max Demian

But with white goods TVs etc. you may order in the shop but is then sourced and delivered in exactly the same way as if the purchase was made on-line. Often delivery will be straight from the manufacturer or importer rather than from the store you purchased it from.

Reply to
alan_m

I think it was one of Brian's incredibly poor jokes!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Indeed, but the business that is paying to run the shop is getting the financial benefit from the sale, whether it is supplied from the shop (take it away with you ?) or from a warehouse elsewhere. And that is what makes that shop (even if it is effectively only a showroom) viable.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

No, they come and cut your hair at home.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

A lot of schools, hospitals and sports facilities are being moved out of town centres.

Towns are becoming suburbs with more fried chicken shops.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

That is broadly what they do, If you go to currys web site you will find that lots of stuff is only available online.

John lewis used to regard the high street shop as entirely a showroom - you had to drive to the warehouse to pick up the white goods

BUT in fact the comments section in online purchasing are far more useful than being able to fondle the goods

'broke on me after one hour' tells you all you need to know ]

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that is totally true. I bought a spare something or other - didnt work - printed off a label and it was collected. No charge

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

doctors are online now, so are schools it seems.

Indeed. That and hospitals seem to be my main reason to leave the house :-(

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Owain Lastname snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote

But there are still towns.

But are still towns.

Reply to
72y33

Trouble is that it's too easy for a competitor to buy your product and post a lie about how it performed, even with verified purchases.

Reply to
72y33

And some buy all the likely candidates and return all of them except the best one. Not clear what that does to the operating costs particularly if you can't sell the returned ones at full price.

Reply to
72y33

Likely sold off in a "bulk lot" to people who take their chances flogging off returns, or sent straight to landfill ...

Reply to
Andy Burns