The batteries are coming tomorrow

I've never seen (mens) haircutting tools sterilised between customers.

From my observations many (mens) haircutting establishments are only busy in short bursts and often there are no customers. Having a model of home appointments, perhaps in the evenings, may be a lot more profitable than a walk in shop.

Reply to
alan_m

Other than the "No drivers" issue :-(

Reply to
Andrew

And bloody ebay sellers with stacks of parcels to dispatch

Reply to
Andrew

Jim did. He bought some DIY clippers and did it himself :-)

Reply to
Andrew

If you want SR44's for an older film camera, then you have to buy them online. There are hardly any proper camera shops any more. There is an LCE branch in Guildford, but that is a 40 mile round trip.

Reply to
Andrew

I suppose it depends on the haircut.

Probably a barber can do quite a lot of men's cuts per hour, but for the washing-perming-colouring-styling that the ladies seem to like, the travel time may affect fewer appointments per day and there is a saving over shop premises.

I've never seen that cylinder of Barbicide actually used.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

And then have a problem if it breaks very soon, because the warehouse will insist they call the manufacturer. Then you have to get sticky and remind them who they have a contract with. But it's all aggro.

Reply to
Tim Streater

But it doesn't tell you if it has the features you want. When we needed a new fridge/freezer, we went to the Curry's showroom (this was 10 years ago) which had a large selection. We mooched about looking them over for a while and it became clear that:

1) American style fridges are a waste of space. 2) That getting a 700mm wide rather than 600mm wide model was going to be very useful because all that extra width translates to extra space inside. 3) That there existed a 700mm wide Beko model which was split between fridge/freezer sections in just the way SWMBO wanted it. 4) That this model had one of the freeze-and-twist ice-cube makers which are the only sort worth a damn. 5) BONUS: I discovered a dishwasher fearture I hadn't known existed: that there exist DW's with no cutlery basket, but which instead have a cutlery tray at the very top of the DW, and this is where you put the cuttles. This is a vast improvement.

None of the above would have easily shown up by poking about online. And even if it had, just seeing a picture of a feature doesn't tell you that you want it. Many features of kit don't stand up to close inspection of the real item.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That is certainly true, but what of it (see my other post).

Loo seat mounting hardware bust a few days ago. Went online to the manufacturers website, which wasn't very good. However, phone the 0300 number, geezer answered, I gave him the seat part number from the original order 10 years ago, replacement kit of hardware (identical to original) arrived today and is now fitted.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Where I go the business end of the cut-throat razor they use lives in a jar of disinfectant.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I selected my dishwasher explicitly on that feature Online.

And even

I guess I am not so fussy about fridge freezers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To be fair, although they are usually fairly obvious they don't cause delays in ours. And they do help to shore up a valuable local service.

Reply to
newshound

It's been happening with women's fashion for decades.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, at 20:33:19 on Sat, 25 Sep 2021, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net remarked:

My dishwasher (bought online) is like that, but there's a downside.

Because the standard internal dimensions now have to accommodate three trays, not just two, the lower (regular) two get very contended.

So the top tray for glasses/cups either has to be so high it won't take large mugs or beer glasses; or it has a regular headroom, which means the crockery try at the bottom doesn't have sufficient headroom for many types of dinner-plate.

Whether or not this disadvantage would be noticed if browsing in a shop, I don't know. But even if they had one with indicative crockery inside, you can be sure they'd airbrush out the pint glasses and large dinner plates.

Reply to
Roland Perry

why mad when you are ripped off in shops ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

He actually could have bought them cheaper on his way home from work as he passed my electrical wholesalers.

Reply to
ARW

Some people still think wholesalers are trade-only.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, at

06:31:45 >> > Towns today have no reason to exist *at all*, by and large.

And ever more consolidated into mega-facilities. So you *do* need to travel often quite long distances to visit them.

And don't forget the charity shops in the High St.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Barbers used to have a promenant bottle of stuff called "Barbicide" which probably does the job, unless the barbers all want to kill themselves.

Reply to
Max Demian

The local motor factors charge double for non-trade than they do for trade.

It is not an unreasonable to expect ARW's wholesalers wouldn't 'overcharge' an off the street punter.

Reply to
Fredxx