The bathroom extractor fan is playing up... - HELP

It is similar to this one

(an older model called the Tipo, bought ~3 years ago, but spec looks very similar). Ours is the one with a timer.

It had worked fine until around 2/3 months ago, when it suddenly started to missbehave. Initially very occassionaly when turned on (using the light switch) it fails to rotate, and only makes a low hum sound instead. The rotor does in fact try to turn, but it looks as if it is under strain and only manages to turn very slowly if at all. When I gave the front cover a tap everything seem to be back to normal for a few weeks.

Unfortunately this is now a daily occarance, and as of yesterday no mater what I do I cannot make it rotate properly again for more than a few minutes/seconds before it stops again.

I suspected that perhaps the cause was that the fan body was slightly warped putting pressure on the motor as the screws holding it to the wall seem to pull it slightly, so a loosened them, but without any luck.

When working the fan seems absolutely fine, so I am a little puzzled as to what is going on.

Any ideas what may cause it other than it being faulty before I bite the bullet and buy another one?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
JoeJoe

disconnect it, if left on like that they cat catch fire

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Thanks, already thought of that.

Luckily I always install them with two switches - one is an over-ride for the fan, and one light +fan. This way at night for example if you only go for a short "visit" you can first disable the fan and not have to leave it running on the timer.

NT

Reply to
JoeJoe

So, what does the pannel think? Time for the bin for the old one and buying a new one?

Reply to
JoeJoe

Afraid so. It is knackered.

Reply to