That Tingling Feeling!

You have a lamp that gives you a tingle? What kind of cable does it have : 2 or 3 core?

Have you figured out where this voltage is coming from? What makes you think it's safe? ( 'It's never hurt me yet' is really not good enough answer to this! ) It might be safe enough, then again, it might not.

If the leak path is 'by design' ( like the filters we've been discussing ), than yes, it's probably safe. There may be other benign explanations too. ( eg: If the lamp is earthed via 3-core cable, and the house earth system possibly floating slightly higher than true earth due to a highish-Z earth. )

However, it could also be down to insulation failure in the lamp, which has only partially broken down at the moment, but which may break down fully at some time in the future cuasing a leithal situation.

I'd reccoment that you get to the bottom of this soon. You need to know the source of this voltage before you can call it safe.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

See my post in this thread of 5 December 12.12

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Enjoyed this thread immensely - but not understood a chuffing word :-) I'll get me coat!

Reply to
gavin

Basically it means you buy an invention of the Devil called a PC with a TV card in it. You extend the aerial to go in the PC and while holding the aerial, you touch the PC case and get a shock.

The immediate reaction is OHFUCKIAMGOINGTODIEANDELECTRICIANSARECHRISTMASCANCELLED.

So you do the next best thing and drag it in here. :))

Reply to
EricP

Plus the SWR is never 1-1 and s'hets & hetrodines were killed by fet and lsi'

Techno-babble is great but I thought this was a laymans thread.

CJ

Reply to
cj

Aha - little light at the end of the tunnel :-)

Reply to
gavin

Yes - but unfortunately it's attached to the front of a train... :-)

Reply to
RzB

Where's the "spin and public miseducation" then?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Laymans should be warned that the statement

"The tv sends a small radio carrier out through the aerial in order to better capture the radio signal"

sounds a bit like BS

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

I have this image of a carrier signal modulated with small hooks - a bit like Velcro...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Which reminds me of The Meaning of Liff by the late great Douglas Adams

(n.) An adhesive fibrous cloth used to hold babies' clothes together. Thousands of tiny pieces of jam 'hook' on to thousands of tiny-pieces of dribble, enabling the cloth to become 'sticky'.

Reply to
malc