Thanks to rain...

No flooding down 'South, that I am aware of.

The floodplain to the south of my village has not flooded. River was quite full at high tide but that's it.

Reply to
Andrew

Vote Labour they are going to give everyone Free full-fibre broadband

LOL ;)

-
Reply to
Mark

How do you know its got anything to do with rain?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Well they should not be so cheapskate as to try to put hf signals down a tatty old bit of copper wire which has probably been there for over 15 years since anyone checked for corrosion or loose terminals. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

not this time, but it has happened in the past

Reply to
charles

Me too. But it doesn't work any more as I have 'line only' - no calls.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wannabe totalitarian regimes need to seize control of communications to publish disinformation, propaganda and censor everything else.

Reply to
harry

And petrol will go up to £5 a litre to pay for it.

In fact, any tax that can be said to reduce carbon emissions will be a target.

Reply to
Terry Casey

You need to think harder about what Openreach actually does.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

done that from me mobile. Made it worse.

I barely have any anyway. ADSL is usually AC coupled for HF

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BTDT this time didnt work. Its really really nasty. Sometimes wont even recognise dial tones

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Usually happens at least once per year, but apart from a few long back gardens with river frontage, and some flooded basements, no-one is badly affected. 2013-14 was bad, but 1968 was much worse (so I am told by the locals who were here at the time).

Reply to
Andrew

And BT will lose £5 billion in income so what will phone rental charges and calls costs increase by to compensate ?.

How much compo will they have to pay out to Virgin, Colt and others whose businesses will be annihilated ?

Like Browns carbon tax on nuclear generators ?

Reply to
Andrew

Could have been someone in a tractor or 4WD missing the flooded raod and driving along a verge where the cables are not buried deep enough. Sometimes that movement of a buried cable is all it takes. Has occurred at least half a dozen times on my estate when delivery or skip wagons drive over the grass verges during wet weather.

Reply to
Andrew

communications to

I think that's the point, at least up to the word "communications". Openreach carry the vast majority of the UK's communications, very easy to sniff what's going where, who's communicating with who...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you forgotten that the ISPs are already keeping this for the intelligence services? A bit pointless doing it again at a lower protocol level.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Not that easy.

Most traffic is now going encrypted.

And owning the fibres doesn?t necessarily mean you own what they connect to. Fibre tapping is very hard to do invisibly.

However we all know its nonsense. Apart from the brexit party none of the others will honour their manifestos in the unlikely event they get to power.

The Labour party has support from wealthy middle class 'woke' professionals in the public sector, who want world government, and the terminally stupid who actually believe Jeremy Corbyn.

Frankly, faced with Corbyn, half of the normal lefty lot will vote for 'Tits' Mc Swinedottir on the basis that she reminds them of a barmaid they had a one night fling with.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed.

This 'ere Usenet is the way to go. Innocuouss messages about plumbing with secret encrypted messages: Spam from the usual suspects with coded messages to the brethren

Online games where players can exchange codes...

It's all happening! Everywhere!. Except on twitter and faeces book.

I stayed with an old friend last W/E. Couldnt get I-player to work. "That's my VPN: It thinks we are somewhere in the USA"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ohmigawd. Gimme a modem someone!

The Natural Philosopher

That doesn't hide who you are connecting to. A journalist parodied it like this: "We know you called the VD clinic, your doctor, then your life insurance company. But we have no idea what you were discussing"

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris