Testing CH Inhibitor

Hi all

Is it possible to test the concentration of CH inhibitor to determine whether more should be added? I recently had my system upgraded and suspect that 1 litre of inhibitor may be a bit on the light side.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Drain off some water into a jar, add a nail, see if it goes rusty.

Reply to
seaside01

Yes, the inhibitor supplier will also do a testing kit.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If Fernox was added then

Phil Anthropist

.. although some are more expensive than just buying more inhibitor (lots of tests for professional use)....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Add some copper in contact with the nail, e.g. an offcut of clean (degreased) pipe, or a copper coin. Makes it work faster.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't think that'll work.

There should be an oxygen scavenger in the inhibitor, to neutralise any dissolved oxygen before it reacts with your radiators. The solution starts absorbing oxygen as soon as you drain it off.

It might give you an indication if you compare it with a nail in boiled water,say, but the dissolved oxygen will be used up rapidly, so it is then really only a test of how the exposed surface in the jar is taking O2 from the atmosphere.

The pukka test kits are the only proper way to test it; easiest to drain and refill with new inhibitor, or chuck in a new bottle. You can overdose, apparently.

Reply to
Aidan