Temporary electricity supply.

I can remember it cheaper than that I think - under 2/- Or was it under 5/- ?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a second edition copy of 'The Motorists Workshop' published by Temple Press - dunno what the date is but looking at the illustrations and text I'd guess at 1920's/1930's. References to Cyclecars, running boards and converting coach houses and stables to garages and workshops.

It cost 1/- net when new.

Its invaluable for its guidance on resolving issues with the digital clock in my current vehicle.

Reply to
Bev

But can you remember how much you earned every week when petrol was that price ?.

Also cars also had very poor fuel economy back then too and also had to have the head removed to 'decoke the valves' regularly as well.

Reply to
Andrew

Did you get Green Shield stamps with it though?

Reply to
Colin Bignell

£630 a year IIRC.
Reply to
Colin Bignell

Crikey. And thought I was old. While still at school an older pal and I bought an Austin 7 for £12 10s. Tank took 5 gallons, and you could fill it (with commercial petrol) for a quid. At the local garage too - as they all charged the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thanks for not reading my post.

If the decisions were just mine I'd have asked for advice on specific points.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Gilbert Briggs, presumably?

"A proud Yorkshireman" - ha!

Reply to
jkn

Not till much later. Possible Dad got embassy cigarette coupons - he got a Black and Decker drill with those, that lasted till it died in 1980...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I, too, remember petrol at about that price, but my father was buying it. By the time I had a car and buying for myself,it was 4/11d a gallon.

Reply to
charles

In message snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk>, charles snipped-for-privacy@candehope.me.uk> writes

As an apprentice, I earned £4.8/- per week. Petrol was 4/6p. 1962

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Latest is the insurance company have had installed some form of temporary electricity supply. A box which buzzes. But not for the house owner to use. Just for the workmen who are going to dry out the cellar. But of course being some three weeks later, it is only now just damp - the water having drained out through the floor, etc. And they've insisted the cellar is cleared out first - at the owner's expense.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I read your post alright. My point was the whole shebang might have been avoided by getting a pump in right at the beginning and lowering the water level BEFORE it all went. South

Reply to
John J

Reply to
John J

It's one of the many downsides of insurance. Remember the big floods in louisiana years ago? The actions of insurance companies directly resulted in destruction of numerous houses that could have been made habitable if owners had got on wih it themselves.

Reply to
Animal

Suck. Eggs. Grandmother. Rearrange into a phrase you can read and understand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News