Reconnecting mains electricity supply

I am now being told that "EDF Metering and UK Power Networks require the installation within the dwellings and common parts have no Code 1 / 2 items and are 'satisfactory'".

This is before mains can be reconnected to the block.

Could someone give me a quick translation of what that means, please?

Is it possible to test an existing installation within my flat to see whether it meets those requirements, and can that be done without the electricity supply being connected at the moment?

Reply to
GB

code 1 is anything that you would deem an immediate danger Code 2 is not an immediate but still a potential danger code 3 is perhaps a circuit fault or dometing that requires further investigation Code 4 is non-compliance with the regs and not dangerous.

For example, my lighting circuits are not protected by an RCD, which is effectively required by 17th edition, but was not previously. So that's a code 4.

If someone has screwed into a cable in the wall, that's a code 1.

Presumably they're looking for something like a PIR without the live tests.

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

ISTR

Code 1 is dangerous fault condition. Immediate repair required.

Code 2 is potentially dangerous. Urgent repair required.

Code 3 is improvement recommended

They want any critical repairs done before reconnection. Seems to me like they have a point here.

Needs an electrician to do the tests and certify it.

Why did you get dropped off the electricity supply?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Going off at a bit of a tangent, I trust you will clarify with your or the feeholder's insurors who is going to pay for the EICR.

I'd also be interested to hear from ARW or other electricians if they might give Code 2 to things which were perfectly acceptable within previous regulations - eg sockets without RCD protection which might be used for lawnmower. If so you seem to me to face yet more costs which are consequential on the damage caused by others - albeit you would gain some betterment.

Reply to
Robin

Fortunately, no need for a lawnmower on the 7th floor.

Reply to
GB

The rising main in the block burnt out. Nothing to do with my flat, but there is talk of a 'surge' in the electricity. I'm assuming that someone connected up the wrong phase in the road where they were apparently re-cabling.

Of course, I have no objection to dealing with code 1 and 2 faults. However, there is no reason to believe there are any, and a report will cost money.

Reply to
GB

I'm reminded of an old cartoon birthday card image of a bloke vacuuming cleaning his car in the road, with a daisy-chain of extention leads dangling down from a 40th floor flat...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

and all plugged intoa bayonet light fitting. I still have one of those connectors here, salvaged from a set of christmas lights.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No, you wouldnt give a Code 2 to 'No RCD', it would be a 3, or a note saying it is not up to current standards, but is adequate.

The ESC guide is here:

It give a number of examples of each Code.

The most common one I see is no earth cable on lighting circuits, along with brass switches, and metal fittings. This warrants a 2.

The majority of Codes 1's I have seen are very easily rectified - broken sockets/switches, earth cable not connected etc.

2's are more problematic - such as the 'no earth lights' above, all metal parts have to be replaced with plastic, or, an earth cable has to be fitted to all points on that circuit.

To the OP - where are you?

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

It has to be code 2.

And as far as I am concerned that means you cannot ask the customer to change it.

You just give a shorter date for the next EICR. Between 2 to 5 years depending upon the quality and volume of the customers tea is the recommendation in the secret book.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks for that link Alan. But I've read that guide before so I knew to look for the example of Code 2 on page 13:

"Absence of RCD protection for portable or mobile equipment that may reasonably be expected to be used outrdoors"

So if the flat has a balcony where the occupants might use their laptop on charge, their portable TV, or of course their angle grinder ........? I'm not saying that Code 2 is compulsory but ISTM from that, and from other stuff, it is at least very possible.

OTOH if you wouldn't then I'll keep you mind for when I next need an EICR :)

Reply to
Robin

I wouldnt give a 2 for 'no RCD' in a flat. If none in a house, then the easiest solution is a RCD socket outlet. Even then, getting some people to pay £30 for one is difficult, the typical quote is "its always worked, so why change it" , which is true, but wouldnt give them a pass for their EICR.

Reply to
A.Lee