Would an electricity meter move require a new mains supply?

I requested a meter move from my supplier from inside the front door to outside the front door. Following the survey we were told we would need a new mains supply, which would require yet another survey and a cost of =A3690- excludes the meter move (not yet quoted for !!) and the electricians required.

I have tried to no avail to get the supplier to explain why we need a new mains supply (and indeed why we are responsible for paying for this) as the house has an existing supply and we are not adding meters (ie splitting into flats). Does anyone know of any situations as to why we would potentially require a new mains supply in this instance...?

Reply to
Martha

Is your wires company EDF?

Professional highway robbers - it would be cheaper to chuck my wallet and cards in the street, than it was to get my meter moved.

I suspect the answer to why will be "Because we can".

Reply to
dom

I have tried to no avail to get the supplier to explain why we need a new mains supply (and indeed why we are responsible for paying for this) as the house has an existing supply and we are not adding meters (ie splitting into flats). Does anyone know of any situations as to why we would potentially require a new mains supply in this instance...?

No a new supply cable is not required, unless the one currently fitted is looped off a neighbours supply, or the company wants you to pay for their upgrade plan for the area. Years ago some houses were fed with one cable and once storage heaters appeared it would burn out and cause house fires. Cable jointing is not that difficult and a small cable like that takes about

15mins max to join. It's joined and then a sleeve tightened around it with resin injected for waterproofing. In your case shortening the cable would not be a problem as the people coming to do the job work on live cables all the time. Unless they are cowboys. To do your job if they have to drill holes in the wall or dig up your path or drive/garden - it will take 2 hours max. So £690 for someone to stand for 5mins and say "OK", then ONE electrician to sort it is way over the top. In Liverpool in the mid-80's cable jointers did a great trade. For £50 they would join a new cable on and give people an unmetered supply. That's until the odd substation was overloaded and streets metered. Scottish Power are currently upgrading meters and supplies in parts of the country and contracting this out. I will post a picture of the state they left my mains supply in! It is possible to shove a wire in to the live terminal of the cutout and cables have been left far too long. Now they have failed to keep two appointments to replace the main fuse. It's all been fine for 20 years so why do it now!

I would refuse to pay that amount and leave the meter where it was. Why put it outside? Meter reading is possible remotely anyway, that's how people are caught fiddling and those with high demand identified.

Reply to
ST150

OK, i'll bite - care to drop me an email with some details and i'll see if I can find out who's been doing the work ? (TIA)

The email address works as long as you take out all the caps :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Per the other reply, depending on where you're currently fed from may=20 have a bearing in this - you might be on a looped supply, or it may=20 not be practicable from your existing incomer for another reason.

If the existing cable is old, it is common to replace it (in ducting)=20 all the way back to the main - the existing incomer might be=20 undersized for instance, given the amount of electrical equipment in=20 use in a modern house. There are still houses in certain areas of the=20 country fed by a looped T&E lead cable and fused at 30A.

Cables can and do deteriorate with age, and may be replaced as part of=20 a refurbishment scheme, but in this case, you're asking for the work=20 to be done in advance of other refurbishment work - you get to pay for=20 that... Incidentally, even with a service refurb, the supply would=20 normally go back in the same place as the old one.

The meter should be on the same wall within 6 feet of the as the=20 incoming service cable / cutout.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Just guessing, but it could be the cable is old and in marginal condition so that shortening it isn't really practical. But it sounds like somewhat of a bargain - a neighbour was quoted about 200 quid just to have an earth clamp fitted to an existing cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have tried to no avail to get the supplier to explain why we need a new mains supply (and indeed why we are responsible for paying for this) as the house has an existing supply and we are not adding meters (ie splitting into flats). Does anyone know of any situations as to why we would potentially require a new mains supply in this instance...?

I'm intrigued as to why you want it outside? pray do tell.

Reply to
George

I presume you mean into an external meter cabinet, and that your existing supply is underground not overhead.

Been there, done that had the arguments and got a refund, but I did work in the industry for many years and knew exactly how the work *would* be done, which wasn't what they insisted I paid for.

Ask them for a breakdown of their estimate.

The stock answer is health and safety. 'We'll have to dig down outside the property, find the old service cable and joint a new piece of cable into the new meter position.'

Except what really happens is that the guys who turn up will firstly try to remove the old main fuse, tape up the end of the cable to make it safe and try to withdraw the existing cable and feed it into the new meter position.

If your service cable is old (40+ years), it'll be armoured lead-sheathed cable, and they won't be able to withdraw it and feed it into the new cabinet. The cable isn't dangerous or worn out per se, just that it can't be made safe and pulled around like that. If it's a modern pvc sheathed cable then it quite possibly can, although that's no guarantee they will be able to do it 'the easy way'.

Having said all of that, when you have the breakdown, you'll have to pay the full price, but you watch the guys doing it and see if they are doing the work according to the breakdown of costs. Don't challenge them, however, take it with the office after they've done their work. The workers might just stop doing the quick way and do it as per the estimate, IYSWIM.

Reply to
The Wanderer