Temporary electricity supply.

That is not quite the same as reconnecting a supply that has previously been disconnected as being dangerous though.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Good job London has really hard water then :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I thought they insisted that the installation complied with BS7671 ?

Reply to
Andrew

Since she cannot get upstairs, all the upstairs wiring might just as well be removed, and this does not infringe any regulations (AFAIK), leaving a minimal downstairs upgrade (cooker plus 1 ring)

Reply to
Andrew

It's London, and the house is probably worth £500K+ even in that state. London Tradesmen quote 'appropriately' :-(

Reply to
Andrew

IEE Regs 14th Edition in my day, but they were not legally enforceable, so engineers had to make judgements, based upon experience.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

recently a house was reconnected that had partially 1930s wiring with a 60s CU. Butit hadn't been condemned as dangerous or disconnected previously, it just got a new incomer.

Reply to
Animal

Might be worth getting a quote from someone way outside the area. Maybe somewhere relatively deprived.

Reply to
Animal

Which, in my day, would have been a different department. The incomer would be the Engineering Department. From the company fuses onwards was the Commercial Department. Different skill sets and different responsibilities.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I remember cutting out a section of lead water pipe in London. It looked like the cautionary pictures of furred up arteries.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Latest part of the saga.

Plumber (Pimlico) refuses to repair the pipe due to unsafe working conditions - flooded cellar. And won't pump it out due to the stuff stored there - says it has to be cleared first. Next door got theirs pumped out with no problems - despite obviously having things stored there too.

Due to no water to flush the toilet, they've got her a commode. And have lifted the manhole cover to the drains (in the back garden) and are emptying it into that. And have put a wire cover over the hole for 'safety'. I've not had any smells yet - but give it time. Although that manhole is very close to the other neighbour, so they might get the results first.

I'm also thinking me providing an electricity supply might be actually making things worse in the end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Pimlico plumbers !!. Good job the insurance co is paying the bill.

Reply to
Andrew

Most of the plumbing in this house was lead too when I bought it. And as you say, cutting it showed a nice coating of 'lime' inside the pipe. Making the lead safe. Since my pressure and flow are OK I've left it as lead up to the stopcock in the cellar. Had fun wiping copper to lead first time I'd tried this - to fit a new stopcock. All copper after it now.

The odd thing about lead is my brother lives in a soft water area - NE of Scotland. And his ancient house has a lead feeder too. But has had the water checked, and OK. Perhaps that soft water has something else in it which causes a coating?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Perhaps London Fire Brigade might help for a bit of positive publicity. Otherwise, do you know anybody with a boat who would lend you a submersible sump pump? It wouldn't be as quick as Fire Engine pump, but it would empty it eventually.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Would have thought you could hire such things. eg

Although if this is all 'remote' (ie relatives can't be on site to take charge) and the trades are turning up, sucking teeth and leaving there's a limit to what can be done by phoning people up.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

It's not often I have come across this sort of thing.

When we did a lot of shit hole rentals (and some were cannabis farms that had had the power cut) off a simple RCD garage CU with a double socket next to it and correctly bonded gas and water was all that was needed to get the supply back on.

Never once was I asked for a certificate before reconnection - and that would have only been a partial cert as there was no power on.

Occasionally they have asked me to do an earth loop reading - probably just checking I had a calibrated meter.

Reply to
ARW

Which amendment:-) Metric or imperial?

Have a trip down memory lane.

Bought it at a bookshop in Rochester after TMH's funeral.

I would have spent longer in there but there was a pub nearby.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARW

Neat

Reply to
ARW

That was what I was hoping for. Can you give a rough idea of price, Adam? But I'd also need to contact the supply people about providing a decent earth?

Don't think we can have TNC here.

I got the supply company to provide it ages ago here - think it is TNS. A big clamp to the outside of the incoming cable. ISTR it wasn't cheap to have done.

All just temporary, though. My meter and CU is now at the top of the cellar stairs, rather than in the cellar. The supply company used three-core armoured cable to extend from the riser to the meter - the riser fuse still being in the cellar.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

They know how to charge an earth for an earth clamp fitting, or move a cut out etc.

There are certain places in Leeds that do not have TN installations.

If the supplier is not going to provide you with an earth you have to supply your installation with your own earth rod and RCD all the circuits for additional protection.

Odd that your neighbour has not died of electrocution after all these years. Or fallen down the stairs in a power cut when the lights failed:-)

The old battle axe missed the bombs in the blitz as well.

Today's apprentice wanted taking to A&E because he got a splinter in his finger. I could have removed that with the angle grinder.

All the best Dave

Reply to
ARW