OT: Keeping the lights on.

For those here singing the praises of French energy policy with 70% of their electricity being nuclear, and who believe that nuclear power is the only way out of our energy crisis take a look at this extract from the 'Old Sparky' column in Private Eye 1573.

................................................................................. Corrosive power

Several continental readers have questioned our story (Eye 1571) that French electricity prices are the highest in Europe: they rightly point out that subsidies reduce the price French householders pay.

The report, though, was referring to wholesale prices in France which were, and remain, the highest. And there's no end in sight because the root cause, systemic corrosion in the largest French nuclear power stations, has now been identified in some of the medium-sized ones as well.

Twenty-six of France's 56 reactors are now hors de combat, at the worst possible time. If, when the smaller plants are inspected, the corrosion turns out to be endemic, France will have an electricity problem on the same scale as Germany has a Russian gas problem. Record imports are now being bought from the UK and elsewhere. France, unlike most of Europe, relies heavily on electricity for heating as well as light and power. To keep the lights and heaters on, it will be forced to keep some of the nukes in a less-than-safe mode, because there isn't sufficient electricity in Europe to make up for a 100 percent French nuclear shortfall. Kow-towing to Putin won't help them with this one.

'Old Sparky'

Reply to
R Souls

Possibly because France hasn't been building new reactors to replace the old ones?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

^ This!

Reply to
The Nomad

I bet the French are glad they didn't back 'renewables'.

Reply to
Spike

We actually have enough capacity to be exporting around 4GW to Europe

Perhaps we should threaten the EU with stopping it if they fdon't do a deal over the NIP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In case you hadn't noticed, this group is called uk.d-i-y.

Surely you could find a suitable group to pollute in your own shithole of a country.

Now bugger off.

Reply to
R Souls

Don't worry about that...in another couple of years UK will decide it doesn't like any revised deal and demand another anyway.

Reply to
Bev