Tape marks on marble

Hi, I have a marble fire surround and have had some work done recently on the chimney flue. The plumber stuck gaffer tape on the marble to hold some polyethene on, although he removed the tape when finished there is still glue residue on the marble. Whats best to remove this please?

Thanks

Alec

Reply to
alec green

The plumber. Ring him up.

Or

Label remover aerosol from CPC. Squirt it on generously, wait a minute or two, rub it off. Repeat if necessary.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Or the rather good Lidl sticky stuff remover. Actually noticeably better than my previous can of, umm, RS stuff.

Reply to
polygonum

any organic solvent ;like meths (vodka?), nail varnish remover, cellulose thinners or isopropyl alcohol

Even petrol would probably work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Avoid anything that may contain oils that will soak into the marble... they will stain it permanently.

I'd either warm the residue gently with a hair dryer and try to rub it off, or stick fresh tape over it and peel it off: sometimes the glue sticks more to the tape than to the substrate.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Something without any oily content. Think I'd go for lighter fluid as it so volatile it will evaporate cleanly away. I've used it to remove the residue from shed sticky lables on timber with no ill affects on the timber.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , alec green writes

There is only one tool for the job - angle grinder

Reply to
geoff

It is good, isn't it? Must stock up on it when it next becomes available.

It removed all the gunge from years of PAT stickers and various other things that the BBC stick on everything - things I bought from the Bush House sale. Most of which is meant to be permanent.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)