Tape and filler for plasterboard.

Practice required, I can see

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, you have to to some degree. You can stop when it's a similar texture to the paper -- that is probably the best for painting too. You can polish plaster up like a sheet of glass, but you'll find it impossible to paint afterwards.

Again, I must point out I haven't tried doing this, as I skim the whole lot anyway.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Much more difficult to do that?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Like most things, it not difficult if you know how to do it. Before I knew how to do it, I regarded it as completely off-limits. I have posted details several times in the past, as have others. I would suggest getting some scratch sheets of plasterboard, fixing them up somewhere, and having a go. The training areas used by colleges are usually something like 6' high x 4' wide with a square wooden frame around the top and sides which sticks out around 6" to give experience working in to corners.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sorry to butt in...

Andy, I've done quite a few bits of skimming over the last year or so - all with the help of Andrew Gabriel's advice (both as replies to myself and replies to others found on Google groups.)

IMO, it is not the difficult job that many make out, but is a skill that comes with practice. It does get better the more you do it, so I suppose it depends if you can get accept the possibility of a less than perfect finish on this job. If not, then I would recommend as Andrew says that you try a few practice runs on some spare plasterboard.

I think its certainly worth trying though, as you will get good at it and its a useful skill to have (my parents have certainly taken advantage of me becoming proficient at it).

If you do decide to give it a try, then my one piece of advice would be that once you master getting the consistency of the mix right you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Joint taping is fine for a paint finish of you do it right. Almost all commercial buildings are joint taped and lot's of new build houses. I accept that I wouldn't generally take advice from what's done in new build since it's usually rubbish but anyway.

Best place to look for information is LaFarge's site which has a guide to how to do it including what to do with internal corners, external corners and various joints between square and taper edge boards.

link is

download the pdf guide.

I personally hate lining paper. A keen eye may manage to pick out the joints in your painted plasterboard wall, but my granny (and yes she's dead) will be able to see the joins in your lining paper. Horrible stuff.

Fash

Reply to
Fash

many thanks for this - the application note is very useful especially....

Reply to
Andy Hall