Taping and Filling Plasterboard - Materials

Hi all,

I know the method has been discussed quite a bit recently, but I was wondering if people had any advice on which materials/products are good for this. In particular:

- Which jointing tape is best? Can I use the self adhesive scrim tape I use to tape joints when skimming boards or should I get the specific stuff for the job?

- Which joint filler is best?

- How to prepare the boards for painting - I believe Wickes do a product you paint on, are there any others and which is best?

Thanks in advance guys,

Ricahrd.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Just use the self adhesive stuff.

there is a type that starts to set as soon as you add water, use that to build up the depth to flush with the boards then use the type that dries by evaporation to get a smooth finish. Use a plasteres trowel to apply these. B&Q do the British Gypsum products Wickes do Knauf I've use both and cant tell the difference.

Reply to
marvelus

  1. use self adhesive cloth tape £3 for 50m for builder merchant.

  1. I persoanally use and most of the plasters I have seen in the last

10years odd use the British Gypsum ready mix joint filler. I was really sceptical about using this as it costs way more than mix your own (£9 for 5l tin) however I would now never use ready mix. I find the ready mixed stuff dries smoother, is easy to get smoother, no bubbles, no lumps, produces a far superior "feather edge", you don't have to *rse around mixing, lasts for ages (years in my case, sealed top surface with cling film) sealed in the tin (unlike mix your own goes off in the bag), you can use all in the tin it lasts and I generally use it for other jobs where say polyfilla would be used. As ready mixed can just pop open any time you see hole than needs filling or your tape & filled joint is not to you liking. Have I sold it to you yet ????
Reply to
Ian_m