T&G floorboards vs chipboard

I have 18mm thick T&G floor planks in master bedroom that are 18mm thick and are 110 mm wide.

For various reasons, I intend to replace this with Caberfloor 2400mm x

600mm x 18mm T&G chipboard.

Am I right in thinking I do not need to have a thicker chipboard to give the same strength as the old T&G floor planks?

Regards,

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen H

Depends on what you want to achieve. Proper flooring grade sheets are plenty adequate in strength terms. They are also moisture resistant so don't end up soggy and useless if they get wet. The real wood may or may not be stronger - there will be more natural variation.

Reply to
John Rumm

It needs to be flooring grade (denser) chipboard - I think all t&g is. The rule used to be 18mm for floor joist spacing up to 450mm, 22mm otherwise - don't know if it's changed.

Reply to
Tony Bryer