SWA into Henley?

I posted a while ago about doing some elctrical work in my father's park home. Since then, I've replaced his old 5-way CU with a new split load one, enabling him to add a couple of new circuits. Everything in the home is fine, but I now need to tidy up what's out side.

This is what the board outside looks like:

what's going on here is this: before this park home was installed, there was a shed here first! And that is why this old Hager CU is still attached to the board. As you can see the supply is actually still going through this Hager unit before it enters the house CU[see the meter tails going through wall]. This is not ideal. The SWA goes to an external shed that has a 2-way Contactum CU, which is not RCD protected.

I had intended fitting a Henley block between the meter and this Hager CU on the right hand side of the meter [to divert the house supply away from the Hager CU], but there is barely room, it's really tight for space in there and I decided against it. Ideally the meter could do with being moved 2 inches to the left so I can fit that henley block in comfortably. My guess is that the Electricity board will charge handsomely for this, even though it's only a couple of inches?

My question is: can I replace that Hager CU with a Henley block and replace the CU in the shed with a new RCD protected one? Is SWA allowed in a henley block?

Many thanks Garry

Reply to
garryb59

They would probably refuse and remind you that you shouldn't have consumer's switchgear on their meter board in the first place. I think your options are either to do the job properly or leave what's there well alone - it may be unorthodox but I think we decided last time that the SWA is likely to be adequately protected.

No, you need a switch-fuse (or at least an isolator and an overcurrent protective device) between the meter and the outgoing SWA. If you're going to change anything you really should the the SWA into the house or into another outdoor wall box and get your switchgear off the meter board.

The recent Wiring Matters article (referred to elsewhere) confirms that park homes and caravans are outside the scope of Part P.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Sorry Andy, my wording was at fault there, my intention was to route the SWA back into the house via it's 'own' Henley block. So I was trying to describe two service connector blocks, one for the main meter tails and one for the shed SWA. Ideally, I'd like to run a new length of SWA but this is going to be an absolute PITA since it's sleeved under concrete, so I was thinking of a junction box [junction box of henley block?] on the existing SWA back into the house. I'd really like to get rid of this Hager switch on the main board and get a direct line from the meter to the new house CU.

Cheers, thanks all the same once again. Garry

Reply to
garryb59

OIC. What size was the SWA? - about 6mm^2 IIRC. You don't need a henley block for that - use a small (say 4 in. square) metal adaptable box and terminate the SWA onto that using a gland in the usual way. Use 30A choc-bloc type terminals in the box to connect to twin & earth cable coming out from the house. Use a crimp ring terminal and suitable screw or stud (M5 or M6 would be about right) to connect the CPC to the box and hence the SWA armour.

Reply to
Andy Wade