Henley Blocks - which way up?

Other than convention, is there any reason why a Henley Block has to have the cables pointing downwards?

I'm looking at a meter board in a corner, and putting the block on its side would neaten the cable runs.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Down is usually used since its harder to accidentally poke something conductive up the cable. However I have seen them used on their side in the past. Just take care drilling entry holes to make them a snug fit for the tails.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sideways is OK, but not upside-down, unless you can use close-fitting grommets. The top of any enclosure providing basic protection needs to meet IP4x. If a 1 mm dia. test pin can contact live parts (and neutral is live for this purpose) it's a fail. Sides and bottom only need to meet IP2x (12.5 mm test finger).

Reply to
Andy Wade

Also have a look at pg 7

ARWadsworth

What would be the official line if you filled it up, the openings that is, with silicone sealant?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Why not just compound the whole box.?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There are different types of Henley block available. Three out of the four types WT Henley sell have top entry:-

also do them with top entry:-

from CPC:-

Dave Osborne

It's the 5 way DP type. The breakouts are neatly done and snug on the new 25mm^2 tails, but a little baggy around the old CU and its 10(?)

In a while I then have to pull the old tails and presumably block the remaining hole. Anyone have a favoured neat way of doing this?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

My CU has gaps at the top where I used the square cutouts. It was not practical for cable entry on the bottom, and the main incomers had to enter the top since the main CU switch has cable entry at the top and the cables are too thick to bend round inside the case. There is a fair amount of "air" around the cables. What can I used to seal around the gaps at the top so it will pass an inspection ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I've never seen a sealed CU (except maybe steel cases with glands or conduit), nor heard of one failing inspection for 1mm gaps around the cutouts (as opposed to having great chunks of casing hanging loose).

AIUI, the neutral bars are now placed above the cutouts, rather than the old sort near the MCBs, so that they're inaccessible to the standard test prod. This prod is narrow, but it's also straight and of limited length. CU casings are now tall enough that the MCBs are out of reach and the neutral bars would need a "hooked" probe, not a straight one.

I'm a little puzzled by the IP4x for top / sideways penetration though. AFAIK first digit (probes) has always been omnidirectional and it was just second digit (water) that took direction into account.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Plain old silicone.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I'm no fan of "plain" silicone around electrics. Now maybe it's from a background with strain gauges on production line machines, but plain silicone releases acetic acid on curing, which causes obvious corrosion troubles, Henley blocks are a bit more robust than this, but they're still screw clamps and resistance there would be a serious risk. Low-acid silicone is avaiable, but it's not the cheap stuff from Screwfix et al.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I may be missing something here, but "Type 3. Single pole model, manufactured in glass re-inforced polyester. Accepts up to 5 conductors, either copper or aluminium. Features include wood bush for top and bottom entry,"

Power connectors with bits of wood in them? The only reason I can think of is that for a top entry situation it would be easier to make a close fitting hole (qv the 1mm opening rule)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Right sort of wood. It's not only "Nature's first composite", most of the denser hardwoods are also intumescent.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Which natural wood stops smoke and doesn't smoke when heated?

Reply to
dennis

Oak is the classic example. Although it does smoke when continuously heated, in this context it will also char and form a barrier layer.

Reply to
Andy Dingley