supply regs question

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable, such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming supply to a premises ?

Sections 26-28 of the supply regs sort-of cover it, but I was looking for something a little less wishy-washy.

Cheers

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Water? Gas? Electricity? Goods?

ITWSBT...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

What counts as two supplies ? I've got two meters fed from separate external lines from the same pole.

Reply to
Mike

If it's the electrical supply regulations you're on about, then I don't think you find much on fixed requirements as to having separate supply sources. The only major requirement I can think of, is that any fixed power outlet must be clearly marked, indelibly, to inform users that the outlet is being supplied from a particular source or distribution point.

There are cases where a property has two electrical supply sources, and these have to be clearly shown on a plan at the main distribution points as to which and where these supplies are distributed and connected. From there, each power outlet must be clearly marked as I said above.

If you do find anything about a certain regulation or requirement on this, then I'd love to see it as well.

Reply to
BigWallop

Perhaps when they're on different phases...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Each time we needed more power, the supply company laid another incoming main. We ended up with 3 of them, pulling just over a megawatt in total when we moved out of the building. They were split between two different substation transformers, although that was mostly for historic reasons (we started off on a 1MVA substation, but that also supplied all the local houses, and at some point we had to provide space for the supply company to install a second transformer in our grounds).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Sorry - `lectric

Reply to
Colin Wilson

That sounds like it could be in breach if i`m interpreting it right - do they terminate at seperate locations within the house ?

If so, the emergency services might be at risk if they remove what they assume to be the only source of supply and start to squirt water around...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

If you were taking it at HV then you will have had clearly defined points of isolation - and quite possibly a remote trip installed too - although if you were being fed by different subs feeding different panel boards / RMUs etc i`m not so sure :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

But even then, as I said in my reply, the power outlets and distribution points must be clearly marked as to their source and connection plan. So even with different phases, the design and installation should comply with these requirements.

Reply to
BigWallop

That's why the distribution points must be clearly marked with their connection plan.

Reply to
BigWallop

Oh yes...I was just answering some query as to why it was a problem..

Reply to
Bob Eager

It was always down to individual REC's and how they interpreted the regs when I was in the industry (been out now for 10 years). I don't think there's a definitive answer on the issue. I just took a quick look at the new regs on line at HMSO, and they are, as always sufficiently vague to allow a reasonable degree of interpretation on the matter.

The only thing that seems to give the lie to 'one point of supply' is Para

24, clause 5.

"In this regulation the expression "new connection" means the first electric line, or the replacement of an existing electric line, to one or more consumer's installations."

The operative expression there would seem to be an "existing electric line, to one or more consumer's installations." The word consumer's there is used in the singular case, and implies that there may be existing lines to each installation, IMHO. Of course, others might argue that it could mean one line feeding more than one installation..... FWIW, I have two points of supply, one in the house, one in the garage.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Did that at a previous place of employment; two 10kV feeds into two (self owned) substations and distributed from there. Fiendishly complicated and not really much point from a backup POV because AIUI the two 10kVs came from the same point on the supply network.

Not bad for what was basically a museum :-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

We took it as 240/415 LV. The feeds ran into different panels, two of them co-located (large loads could be moved from one to the other relatively easily), and the other in a different area of the building. There was no single action "isolate everything" control.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel