Suppliers double wall cardboard [slighty OT]

Looking for cardboard to make play-house for 16 month old daughter. Anyone had experience sourcing large sheets double wall cardboard? Want to make a nice job so prefer not to cut up old boxes.

Not a traditional building material in UK, I know, but with a little imagination cardboard makes an interesting material. Check out the cardboard school, and some of Shigeru Ban's work.

Martin Hind

Slightly different, I know, but I recently needed a small quantity of double-wall cardboard boxes made to an exact size, and found these people very helpful:

Mike Barnes

I'd suggest double-wall plastic eg 'correx' as used by signwriters, then it can go in the garden and won't go soggy with the first shower.

I doubt *she'll* care :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The 16th month old won't care about it being an old box... Indeed an old box with the flaps etc will probably be more exciting than anything you can make. Source, try the whitegoods shops, I expect they get a number of TV boxes to dispose of after they have delivered a set.

My two (9 and 6) still have great fun with old boxes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Although check for the metal staples you often get in large cardboard boxes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They just add a gritty reality when playing Doctors & Nurses :-0

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I dread to think what you'd include in Every Child's Cops and Robbers Playset - mask, stripey jumper, cosh, plastique, hi-vis vest, CS spray, set of steep stairs...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You forgot the Tazer, bags of white powder and 10 grand in Monopoly money ;-) Oh, and one of those heavy metal cylinders to bash in the door of the cardboard wendy house.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Yes, I needed some sheets about 10 years ago to model a proposed rear extension to the house. Back in those days, software was supplied shrink-wrapped in cardboard boxes, so I asked the company who made the boxes for us. They dropped off 6 triple-walled corrugated 6'x4' sheets from their artic at home for free. I've no idea how much they would have cost to buy, but you could look for a cardboard box fabricator on your area. Sadly, we stopped using their cardboard boxes not long after that.

Reply to
andrew

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The common light stuff is twinwall, sounds like what you need is triplewall. Twin has has 2 walls and 1 infill, triplewall has 3 & 2, and is used on big boxes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

NT:

related question: why does no-one use ply style triplewall cardboard, ie with the 2 corrugated layers at 90degs to each other?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Actually the very nicest thing I have seen is card skinned polystyrene sheet.

Its got built in cavity wall insulation.

Get it from craft shops.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suppose a 16mo is unlikely to be smoking yet...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

for a ready cutout cardboard house that you colour in yourself.......

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cross

would I need PP for that?