Supplier of duplicate olde worlde keys?

I have a key that fits a lock that is fitted to the front door of a 17C farm worker's cottage. I would like to get some duplicates. Key is not ornate but works and has some charm. About 8" long, stem about 1/2", flag about 1" square, handle about 2" dia. Weighs about 1/2lb. Don't need exact replicas, just something with character that will work. Local smith says he could do them for ?40-50 each. That doesn't sound too unreasonable but thought I would ask here before going ahead.

Any thoughts please?

Many thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Locksmith or blacksmith? I'd have thought the original would have been made by a blacksmith, so that would be where I'd go. And don't worry about it being identical, it won't be.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

What (or who) you need is an 'old lag' who did a metalwork course in Borstal ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thanks Theo, I meant blacksmith. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

Sadly, most of my acquaintances of that ilk have gone to a better place ... Nick.

Reply to
Nick

What you need is someone who can weld and some mild steel and a set of files and a vice

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher